1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier P-bass...surprised

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mello_bedwetter, Mar 26, 2009.

1. A friend of mine at work bought a Squier P-bass Affinity about 4 years ago. He got it for one of his boys thinking he would play it. Well it's been sitting for 3-4 years. The kid decided to take up Airsoft war games instead, which I have to admit are fun. Anyway my friend brought the bass in today and I brought it home to do a set up. I took off the strings, cleaned the fretboard, dusted the pick ups and bridge. After this I adjusted the truss rod, the neck had a big bow to it. I put some EB Hybrids on it that I had laying around here at the house then adjusted the string height with the saddles. I plugged it in to my Bassman 250/210 and to my surprise the bass sounded pretty good. The bottom had some boom to it. I've tried the VM Squier before but never an Affinity. All in all it sounded and felt good. Tomorrow after work I'm going to lower the strings a bit and maybe adjust the pick ups, also play around with my amp settings to see what the Squier does. He has a little Squier amp I'm going to try to. That's it, I just felt like putting this on here, no big deal. Again I have to admit I was surprised the bass sounded as good as it did.
    One good thing, it gave me practice at setting up a bass.

2. I'll tell you what......Squier has made a BIG step forward in quality. I'm not sure how they did it but, in my experience, some of the newer Squier stuff rivals the Fender MIM stuff. Here's one of my recent Squier acquisitions.........

DSCF0005.

I picked up a 2 year old Squier P just to try my hand at some modding and I was pleasently surprised. Stock it was pretty good. I just added an EMG Select to it and changed out the pickguard for a Tort one and it looks pretty sharp.......

BEFORE..........

Stuff022.

AFTER.........

DSCF0012.

3. Ashdharma

Ashdharma

Mar 26, 2009
    Northwest IN
    Like most folks, I always thought of Squier as a "beginner's only" instrument, that is until I bought the VM P Bass in 2007. Wow, what a bass! Plays and sounds great, all for under $300!

I used that as my number one for all of 2007 to really test it and break it in and it performed great.

4. Nice basses. I may see if the guy at work will sell the Affinity to me. I'd like to add some new PU's and tuners to it.

5. zorro

zorro Commercial User

Aug 1, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    Owner, Bass And Beyond in Sacramento
    Definately get some new tuners. Then it will play well.

Get some pickups and it will sound good as well.

6. SabreChris

SabreChris

Mar 19, 2009
    What kind of wood is agathis?

I had a squire infinity and had no problems with the playability and it sounded pretty good. The finish was prety bad.

7. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    It's all about the use of CNC cutting machines, which Hartley Peavey started using back in the 70's, and now everyone is using current CNC technology to make precision parts.
    This is the reason that Fender and the rest of the big names in the instrument making industry can offer budget lines that offer a lot of bang for the buck in terms of quality.

I am very impressed with what I've seen in the Squier line these days in both bass and guitar offerings. Even if a new Squier bass needed a bit of nut slot filing and a general set up, they have proven to be very decent sounding and playable instruments.