Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier P-bass...with Jazz pickups (only)??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Selta, May 31, 2003.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ok, well, I found myself in the local music shop yesterday, though I had no intention of buying any gear, this bass caught my eye....5 string Squire P-bass.
    So, I looked at it, and lo-and-behold, it had jazz pickups, bridge & neck, no p's at all. There were two of them there...
    So, saying to myself, "huh?" I picked one up and played it. it with no doubt played very nicely. Jazz sized neck, nice sound, a tad heavy, but I'm used to my Koa bass also...
    So, anyone know the deal with these things? I was just wondering when Fender decided to make the P bass with out the P in it :p.

Thanks
    Ray

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

I had one of those a few years ago, the neck is not a jazz sized one, the only thing that I liked about the bass is the string spacing (extra wide) but that's all.

4. apparently they used 4string J pickups.
    both Squier P5's I've tried had non-existent B strings when plugged in- a shame because acoustically the B string sounded tight.

there was a previous Squier P5 which had a 5inline headstock using mini machineheads, and 2 soapbar p/ups- i never tried one of those- what were those like?

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Heh, like I said, I wasn't gonna buy it, and still not going to. I didn't have any chace to plug it in, so I don't know about the sound. The one I played though didn't vibrate past the end, cos that's where I put my thumb and I didn't feel it. Hard to play it on th highest frets though, 19 & 20...I had a tendency to bend it off when I did. But in all actuality, who plays the B that high? I'm not really looking for new gear, cos of the situation at home, but I thought I'd go play some five stringers again. Anyhoo, thanks for all the info, now when I decided to start buying gear again, I know to avoid that :D.

Ray

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Ah, the ProTone P-Bass. A friend of mine has one as a back up to one of his main 5 & he loves it. We worked at Sam Ash otgether & we've played alot of 5's together & the ProTone that he has IS really nice!!!!!!