1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier P-bass...with Jazz pickups (only)??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Selta, May 31, 2003.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ok, well, I found myself in the local music shop yesterday, though I had no intention of buying any gear, this bass caught my eye....5 string Squire P-bass.
    So, I looked at it, and lo-and-behold, it had jazz pickups, bridge & neck, no p's at all. There were two of them there...
    So, saying to myself, "huh?" I picked one up and played it. it with no doubt played very nicely. Jazz sized neck, nice sound, a tad heavy, but I'm used to my Koa bass also...
    So, anyone know the deal with these things? I was just wondering when Fender decided to make the P bass with out the P in it :p.

Thanks
    Ray

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. I had one of those a few years ago, the neck is not a jazz sized one, the only thing that I liked about the bass is the string spacing (extra wide) but that's all.

4. apparently they used 4string J pickups.
    both Squier P5's I've tried had non-existent B strings when plugged in- a shame because acoustically the B string sounded tight.

there was a previous Squier P5 which had a 5inline headstock using mini machineheads, and 2 soapbar p/ups- i never tried one of those- what were those like?

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Heh, like I said, I wasn't gonna buy it, and still not going to. I didn't have any chace to plug it in, so I don't know about the sound. The one I played though didn't vibrate past the end, cos that's where I put my thumb and I didn't feel it. Hard to play it on th highest frets though, 19 & 20...I had a tendency to bend it off when I did. But in all actuality, who plays the B that high? I'm not really looking for new gear, cos of the situation at home, but I thought I'd go play some five stringers again. Anyhoo, thanks for all the info, now when I decided to start buying gear again, I know to avoid that :D.

Ray

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Ah, the ProTone P-Bass. A friend of mine has one as a back up to one of his main 5 & he loves it. We worked at Sam Ash otgether & we've played alot of 5's together & the ProTone that he has IS really nice!!!!!!