Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rusty Chainsaw, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Anyone got any opinions on the current Squier cheapo range of P-Basses? I need something nice and basic to go alongside my custom Sei Bass for a more straightforward, classic sound.
    I tried one out today and it felt pretty good, apart from fairly crappy tuners, but didn't get a chance to plug it in.

Russ :bassist:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    You can't get those in the UK, alas... :(

Most of the cheap basses you get over here are not very good at all... the likes of Vintage and Tanglewood aren't up to much really...

Russ :bassist:

4. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Definitely go with the Squier. I still have mine, and I intend to keep it for a long time yet., I love it so much. And I don't have another bass at the moment.

Squiers have a bad rep that is assuredly not due to them. Your Squier is only as good as you are, is what I like to say.

5. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    I have a squier myself, insafct its my only bass.
    It is a....useable bass, but its very low end.

Here is the con's about it:

1.The neck and fingerboard is full of nasty knots and discoloration

2.The body is made of sawdust and glue

3.The body is very thin

4. And so is the neck, and teh fingerboard who appears to be only 4mm thick.

5.The fretwork is sloppy, and the inlays are falling out

6. The truss rod is unusable, my enck has a huge back bow i cant get out.

7. The electronics are crap, it'll stop working pretty quick

8. The body finish is very sloppy, and full of flaws.

...just a really low quality bass. But at teh $400 US i payed for it, what would you expect?

-Erlend

6. don't order one.
    play many, and pay attention. you'll probably come across something with a bit of charecter, and you'll probably notice quite a wide array of tones/feels from simialer instruments. you may play some crap, but you have a really good chance of finding a diamond in the rough.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You payed $400 for a Squier? Dayam.... are all prices over there that high?

8. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    $400 DOLLARS FOR A SQUIRE?

You could get a Used one for $75 U.S.!

Hell, $400 almost buys a new MIM jazz bass.

$600 can easily buy a used Lakland Skyline 55-01.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Actually $400 CAN get you a MIM fender jazz from musicians friend or music123.. forget which.

10. Russ, if it felt good in your hands then I would purchase that exact bass.

Squires really are "hit and miss" as others have stated, so when you find one that feels good, buy it!

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. For a while I had a Squier P-bass Affinity as my backup bass. Sounded nice (thump!) and never had any problems with it.

12. jmyfalace

jmyfalace

Nov 4, 2002
    The Squires are ok basses. They have a real basic sound but are really easy to play. Adding new stings really helps to boost sound quality. Any more questions email me at stevesk8r@earthlink.net