Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Harry Lime, Oct 20, 2002.

1. I've owned a Squier P-Bass by Fender for a year and two months now. I hardly ever play it. I play very sporadically. Most of the time I practice my electric and acoustic guitar. I would like to a competent bass player, but at the rate I move with this thing, I'll never get anywhere. Let's put it this way, I don't know any songs from beginning to end yet. I'm wondering if it's the tone that I don't like. Sometimes I feel, maybe bass just isn't for me and I should just stick to guitar.

So I ask, if you had a Squier P-Bass by Fender, would you become bored fast too? It cost me about $152 on sale. I was looking at a Fender FSR Flat Black Deluxe P-Bass Special for $500. I am thinking of trading this in for it. I wanted a Rick or a Stingray but I don't want to pay anymore than $500. And I don't think you even find used ones for that price. What do you think?

2. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Hi Harry,

First off, list your Squier bass on Ebay. You'll probably get ninety to a hundred dollars for it, which is about seventy-five more than you'll get for a trade in. I understand your feelings about the Squier not being particularly enjoyable to play. However, keep in mind that contrary to most cheap basses, the Squier is made of alder and not plywood. This meads that you could upgrade the neck, pickup and pickguard for maybe two to three hundred dollars and have a great bass that could rival a USA-made fender for much less money. I know because I've done it- I got a MightyMite bass neck off ebay for seventy five bucks, sent it to B. Henfer in Cali (www.edenhaus.com) and got it sanded, prepped,a beautiful gloss laquer applied and a level, dress, crown, and polish for two hundred. I bought a dimarzio pickup and a tortoise pickguard on ebay also. Please note: the Squier's pickup is larger by a tiny bit than a traditional fender pickup--buy a drop-in P pickup and a regular replacement pickguard and they'll match each other. What's in the Squier is crap but you can sell that on ebay too.

Playing an instrument should be enjoyable. It's important to feel good about your instrument, but also important not to get to so wrapped up in gear you forget it's the music that matters. Squier basses are in the hands of working musicians in many countries around the world, and these individuals probably feel awfully happy to have them. Music is in the hands first, last, and always. If you have five hunder bucks to spend forget about a Stingray-they cost twice that. A Rick may cross your radar for 800. In the meantime, think about upgrading your Squire with the help of a local luthier to mount the goodies you pick up. That way you save funds and personalize your instrument to your tastes.

Just my $0.02

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Harry-
    Agreed that a Squier isnt the greatest, but a better Bass wont necessarily make you a better player--practice will. $500 is alot to spend if youre not sure that Bass is for you. Would you be able to get your $500(or somewhere close) back if you decided to give up Bass?

Not trying to discourage you, just giving you something to think about.

Good luck:cool:

4. I agree with Mike. Why pay $500 on a bass if you don't know if you even want to play? What is it about the Squier you don't like? If you think its the tone, why not go to a music store and noodle around on other P basses to see if its just the P bass sound you dislike. Try out some Jazz basses. Try the Ric and Ray you're interested in. Try basses with active pickups, and onboard preamp to see if you prefer that. Don't limit your Squier to its name. I've been playing for 8 years, and have owned my Squier for nearly 6. I still play it when ever I'm in the mood to play something hard and angry.

Is it the look of your Squier that you are bored with? If your bass doesn't give you a thrill whenever you pick it up to play it, it should. I got bored with the look of my Squier. Black finish, white pickguard. Maple neck, rosewood fretboard. Boring. I loved the tone, but hated the look. So I swapped out the pickguard to a mtching black one, added a bridge cover, and stained the neck to give it a darker look. I now love the look again, as well as the sound.

Maybe a Squier P bass isn't for you. I'm willing to concede to that. But before you jump inot a large finacial contribution to a new bass, pick up that squier and earn a few songs first. Make sure you want to continue to play. If you decide bass sn't for you, sell the Squier. You might be out $50.

I guess I'm just trying to reiterate what Mike said, a new bass won't make you any better, practice will. An expensive bass is only expensive firewood, or a very large paper weight, if you don't have the desire or will power to pick it up and play it.

5. Dagger

Dagger

Aug 2, 2002
    North Carolina
    Hey Harry:
    I would say keep the bass. I bought a Squier P-Bass Pak when I started, just because if I didn't like playing bass or it was too hard for me I wouldn't be out too much money. But, it turns out that I did enjoy playing very much. The bass is a great instrument in my opinion compared to other basses I've played, especially for the money. If you're playing guitar more, then maybe you should stick with that and maybe later down the road pick the bass back up. Check out the thread on page 3 or 4 of this forum titled: "Pros and cons of the Squier P Bass". That might help out some. I have no intention of getting rid of mine, that's how much I like it and I try to practice at least an hour a day. Just my opinion. Have a good day.

6. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I don't understand how a new bass will make you better.

7. I understand that a more expensive bass isn't going to make you a better player. But I do think it offers encouragment to play more if it sounds better.

But you guys are right. I should stick with the Squire. I really don't have that kind of money to throw around anyway. I'm not serious enough, and not good enough yet.

One other thing, I bought the bass at Daddy's Junky Music. A music store chain here in the northeast. They don't give you a set-up on anything you buy there. I've had set-ups done elsewhere on my two guitars, but not the bass. Maybe it just needs that then. And new strings. I bought it 12 months ago, and never had anything done to it.

8. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    A good setup is essential to make any bass sound and play well. You could also give us an example of the kind of sound that you would like to have. Do you wish to sound like Flea or Adam Clayton or Victor Wooten or Duck Dunn or...?