Squier P basses from the 80's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rxtech, Feb 12, 2009.

1. rxtech

rxtech

Jul 31, 2006
    Can anyone tell me about 80's Korean Squier P basses? Are they good quality. I've heard about good quality on the early Squiers but is that only for the Japanese models? Thanks for any advice!

2. I own a 1989 Korean made Squier Precision,& I honestly think that they are better made than the Affinity and maybe the Standard series.
    The only review i have found says that the body is made of basswood,though others on the forum say that plywood is used.
    The pickups sound ok,and i realy like the tinted neck on these basses.I would buy another Korean Squier Precision before the Affinity and Standard models.
    There are a few popping up on Ebay & there are a few threads here about these great Squier basses.

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    The Japanese ones were the good ones. The koreans were nothing special, just a regular squier (the second run of good Squiers were the MIM ones)

4. i have a Squier II Precision from the late '80s, made in Korea. black slab body (no contour), no pickguard, glossy maple neck. sure looks good...no frills P-Bass, body like a tank (most likely plywood).

it's an okay bass. i really, really like the neck on it. the pickup has some serious output, and isn't too noisy. don't know if it's because of the old strings, but it just sounds flat, with no real growl or punch. even finger plucking down by the bridge sounds bland.

and since i got an SX Jazz (IMHO, a far better all-around bass), i've come to appreciate body contours, and hadn't realized how uncomfortable the slab body on the P is. i'd like to get it revamped...do a fresh set-up on it, and maybe drop a DiMarzio in it, so it will have comparable growl/tone to the SX.

5. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    MIK squire's are hit or miss. Some are reportedly well constructed and good players. Others are heavy plywood mediocrity's. Always take the neck off before purchasing to see if you are getting plywood or real wood.

I had a MIK plywood jazz that was playable, but nothing special.

6. rxtech

rxtech

Jul 31, 2006
    Thanks guys, I'm thinking I won't get it.

7. Hughsie

Hughsie

Nov 21, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I've never owned a Squier bass, but my main Strat is a JV (early '80s, original Japanese Squier) and it's the best Strat I've owned (of many). The Korean late '80s/early '90s instruments are the ones that trashed Squier's rep for years. I had a Strat from that era (circa 1991), and although it had a good neck and sounded OK, the body was indeed plywood.

8. kcamsdog1387

kcamsdog1387

Jun 22, 2009
    Seacoast NH
    I bought what I though was a Squier II like 6 months ago. Its the one with the small tuners. I took the neck off to put it on my 2001 Affinity Series and noticed the body was a multi-laminate. The second one is a Samick Squier II with no pickguard, the black slab body and Schaller Licensed tuners. What I found strange was that the cheap neck was a one piece headstock while the Samick one is a three piece.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021