1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier P/J Bass vs Ibanez SR400 P/J Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by villarddefender, Nov 21, 2017.

1. villarddefender

villarddefender

Nov 21, 2017
    Hi this is my first post in the forums.

I was wondering which bass should I go for between a Squier P/J Bass or an Ibanez SR400 P/J Bass

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I would highly recommend trying both and seeing which one sounds and feels better to you. The Ibanez SR400 is an active bass as in it has a preamp and 3 band EQ, the Squier is a passive bass, doesn't have a preamp with one master tone knob, no EQ. One is not better than the other imo, this is just a matter of preference. The SR400 also has a slimmer neck if that's important to you.

Malak the Mad and UNICORN BASS like this.
  3. villarddefender

villarddefender

Nov 21, 2017
    :oops: interesting because I do have small hands

4. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    What Maxdusty said.

5. villarddefender

villarddefender

Nov 21, 2017
    Tried both and here's what's up.
    The Squier P/J bass has a better P-bass sound than the Ibanez SR400 but I can hear a noise when only using the Jazz pickup on the Squier. The Ibanez SR400 has a much cleaner J-Bass sound. I'm more a P-bass guy so I've picked the Squier

Malak the Mad likes this.
  6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Yup. That's basically what should be expected. You'll wanna play with pickup height to get a nice balance. The bridge pickup on cheaper PJs is always a weak spot.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  7. villarddefender

villarddefender

Nov 21, 2017
    Thanks for the tip!

8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    You picked the right bass if you wanted something closer to the P Bass. The SR400 does sound different, also important to note the reverse P Pickup configuration on the Ibanez.
    Congrats.

9. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Pretty much that. Plus, there's the classic "60Hz hum" that single-coil pickups are known for. Having both pickups maxed-out will help alleviate the hum, but then you get the slight drop in volume. For me, I usually run my neck pickup at 100% and dial back on the bridge pup to my taste, which usually means somewhere between 75% to 90%. That way, I get all the "thump" I need, but enough "growl" to keep things interesting.

Now, pardon me as I try my best to not start suggesting "pickup modifications" or "string choices" when you've only just begun your journey through the Low End. :banghead: :D