1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier P Vintage Mod or P special?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cone-41, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Cone-41

Cone-41

Aug 13, 2007
    Hi everyone,

I am currently in the process of buying my first bass and have decided it will be between these two models and i'm wondering which bass the members here think is best as i don't have to much experience with basses as until now i have played mainly electric guitar. :bassist: Personally i think the Vintage mod would be best to get, it's just a shame it doesn't have a maple finger board.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_sq_vintage_modified_precision.htm?partner_id=25293

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_standard_pbass_special_01.htm?partner_id=59917

2. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    For your first bass, hmmm...

Normally, I would tell someone considering these two to get the P special, as its way more versatile and can do anything the VM P could do and a little bit more with the J p/u at the bridge. HOWEVER....

Since you're buying your first bass, I would recommend the VM P and spend the rest of your money on a decent combo amp (Ampeg, Gallien Krueger, Ashdown, whatever you can afford). The VM P is a great bass to learn on and, to be honest, it will serve well beyond your "beginner" stage.

And welcome to TB!!

3. Cone-41

Cone-41

Aug 13, 2007
    Okay thanks. I'm still not sure what type of Bass AMP to get as i don't want to spend to much as i've recently bought a £300 Fender Princeton Guitar amp (hopefully that will do for my bass at the moment :confused:) .

4. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    You need to take it reeeeeeeal easy. The Bass can easily destroy speakers meant for guitar at even a lower-moderate volume.

5. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I have the P Special and I really like it.

6. Cone-41

Cone-41

Aug 13, 2007
    Oh.. :meh:
    In that case then i'll see if i can just find a cheap Bass starter amp.

7. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Would be fine for headphones though, but don't push the speakers. Or...don't stand in front of the speakers when you do.
    :)

8. Save up some money for a decent combo bass amp. It's the way to go. Somethin in the 100 watt range will give you a good smile. Precision all the way!

9. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    +1 on spending money on a good amp. A mediocre bass will sound good through a good amp, but a good bass will sound bad through a mediocre amp. ;) You want a good amp with a fairly large speaker so you feel like you're actually playing bass.

10. I would recommend the VM P. I own one, and have no complaints with neck, hardware or pups. Sounds just like a P. The fact that it's super-light is just icing on the cake.

11. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    if your name implies who you like, ive seen cone with a fender p a lot, so you'll be fine with the vm p. most punk bands either use ampeg or some off brand for their amps.

12. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Buy the Squier, used if you can get it and spend your money on a really good used amp. 60-100 watts minimum if you can swing it.

Good starter amps are Peavey, and Yorkville/Traynor. I still have my 40 watt Traynor from 1986 or 87, and it's much louder than you would expect from a 40 watt amp. We had band practice the other night, and since my buddy's wife and kid were away, we played in his living room with his PA. Two guitars and drums, and I had the amp volume at 4. No problems hearing it at all.

They used to say "there are watts, and then there are Traynor watts."

EDIT: I should have also said I brought that little amp because I was planning to go into the PA too, but forgot to connect it. Halfway through our first set I realized I hadn't, and didn't need to. :)

13. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Get the vintage modified p bass as the pickup on it is duncan designed which means that you are actually getting a fairly nice sounding pick up instead of the standard squier pick ups , it will definately be worth the slightly higher price