Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier P with SD's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by d_jason_05, Aug 22, 2005.

1. d_jason_05

d_jason_05

Mar 20, 2005
    California
    I have a Squier P-bass that a have just attempted to put Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders in. Before i put the new pickups in it worked perfectly. All I have done is attach the previous wires from the pots to the pickups. After looking at wiring diagrams it looks a little more complicated but should still work. I have included a pic i drew using paint for a little troubleshooting help. I will appreciate anything that'll help get this bass working. Any questions for me or demands of a different pic or something I will glady respond to. Thanks again, d [​IMG]

2. Looks like you have the Positive Red wire and the Negative Black wire reversed. The Neg goes to ground or back of the pots while the Posistive wire goes to the volume pot lug.
    Check your pickups with an ohm meter to insure they are not open. They should read between 10K and 16k ohms from black to red wire (not connected to anything).

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    [​IMG]

Are you sure everything is grounded properly (making solid contact)?

Is your output jack wired backwards?

Your diagram does appear to be correct but it does differ from the conventional wiring diagram. Try wiring it up like theconventional diagram.

Also, is there any way for you to post a pic of your control cavity?

4. nope...that's not it...many pickup vendor's use black for the positive...and polarity on the pickup is not the problem...

everything looks right...i went to stew mac and here's his diagram...

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electro...t_for_P-Bass/Instructions/I-0139.html#details

almost IDENTICAL to yours

i'd start looking at things that are touching ground that shouldn't...

take an ohm meter, turn both pots half way and basically the only things that should be grounded are the pot cases, the ring of the jack, and the ground leg of the volume pot...NOTHING else should be grounded...

after you clear this...then I'd start looking at polarity of the pickups...but I fail to see on a passive pickup how polarity could be a problem...