Squier "Perfect Fit Replacement Parts" Mega thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thobbinghotrod, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Will it be MEGA? who knows but please post what you know about these affordable basses. Please add what series you've worked on ( VM - CV - etc..) and what brand of part you have fitted.

VM's seem to have a squared off heel on their necks, seems like aftermarket necks won't fit (edit: this is only the VM TB). Classic Vibe series has the rounded heel, so it's more like standard fenders.

What tuners will fit without drilling holes? And pickguards? Bridges?

This should be about direct bolt ons, but feel free to add whatever you want. :D

2. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    idk if itll reach MEGA proportions but this is a reallllllllly good idea

3. TalkBass Sponsor

4. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Los Angeles California
    Seymour duncan single coil precision pickup fits perfectly in the squier calssic vibe 50's bass , no routing , just drops in.

Emg active pick ups where fitted in my VM P bass and the battery could sit in the control cavity no routing was needed at.

Also Classic vibe series basses have a different hole pattern for the bridge so a standard bridge will not be a direct drop in such as a badass II will not fit in the pre-existing holes.

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I think you will find this to be only true of the ones with the "Tele" style headstock.

Almost positive the other VM's have standard style curved heals.

This would also hold true on the Fender SCPB's. Those have squared off neck heals as well.

6. I was just going to look up the squared neck end, I have the VM tele, and that's what I was basing it on.

7. ih8law

ih8law

Aug 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I bought a Squire Affinity P-bass for the express purpose of modding it for fun. Here's my results:

- I replaced the neck (anyone need a Squier neck?) The replacement Mighty Mite maple neck fit in the pocket nearly perfectly. There is only the slightest gap on the right side.

- EMG Select pickups were a drop-in replacement.

- Fender MIM-style pickguard required some work to fit properly. More specifically, I had to dremel the neck pocket (right side only) to get it to fit. Only 3 of the 14 pre-existing holes were close enough to reuse on the new pickguard.

- Replaced the junky wiring with CTS pots and orange drop cap. While these were significantly larger than the stock pots, everything fit into the cavity just fine.

donnyrocker likes this.
  8. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    Ok - I am thinking of modding a squier VM precision. Where can I get a replacement pickguard?
    Also, I will be adding villex pickup and hipshot A style bridge - will the bridge be a bolt on replacement? I am sure the pickups will fit

9. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    Replaced the neck on my squire vm fretless jazz with a warmoth fretted jazz neck. Good fit and tuners/bushings fit with a little dremel work on the inside of bushing holes to remove finish.

10. This is what I did to my Vintage Modified Jazz last week.

Badass II bridge - fit in perfectly
    Nordstrand NJ4SEs - fit in perfectly
    Hipshot HB7 tuners with a drop D - fit in perfectly
    John East Retro J preamp - the battery was a little tight for my liking so I routed out a battery box in the back.

This mutha sounds like a friggin' dream!

my new pickguard will be here from Warmouth this week and we'll see how that goes.

11. A-Step-Towards

Nov 16, 2009
    Los Angeles California
    That bridge only has 4 mounting holes so i doubt it.

12. Gab124

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    I see, I did not know that the original had 5 mounting holes. I could always do the badass II, or are there any other high mass bridges with 5 mounting holes?

13. Gab124

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    additionally, is there a chrome cover (ash tray I think) that will go over the badass II bridge? I like the bridge cover but not the pickup cover.

14. Doragon

Doragon

Sep 1, 2008
    San Jacinto, Ca
    I just got a pickguard for my VM Jazz from Warmoth but it won't fit. Couple of holes don't line up..not a big deal as I could drill for the new guard but the control plate does not line up at all so it won't go on. I may have to order a control plate also from Warmoth.

My CV 60'S tho had no problem fitting from Warmoth.

15. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
  16. A-Step-Towards

Nov 16, 2009
    Los Angeles California
    gotoh 201

17. okiethunder

okiethunder

Feb 25, 2009
    I installed a Mighty Mite unlined fretless neck on my VM Jazz and it fit nicely. No gap at all.

18. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    squier VMJ, replaced the bridge with a black gotoh 201 (fits perfectly) black PG screws, want to replace the tuners.

19. Subscribed! thinking of modding my new VMJ soon so this thread may come in handy!

20. A-Step-Towards

Nov 16, 2009
    Los Angeles California
    I to also put a mighty miye neck on a affinity body it was a tight fit but thats a good thing in my books judging by my experience and the ones above it seems like mighty mites are a good fit for squiers