Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier? Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wtf_is_a_bass, Jan 10, 2006.

1. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    Hey im sick of my old squier p/j standard pickups. I dont want anything fancy like Duncan's but i don't want anything as shoddy as the Squier's. Im looking about 100AUD tops

Any thoughts? Im thinking of some dimarzios, im going to have a look at em... are they pricey

2. Dimarzio P/J pickup set go for $79-$98
    I have read good things about them.

3. Pearly Gator

Pearly Gator

Dec 10, 2005
    SoCal
    On the low price end, there are the "Designed by EMG" P bass pickups from Johnson basses. I got a pair off of Ebay for $9 US. They are ceramic, measure 12K Ohms and were a major improvement over the stock 8K ohm Squire pickup in my bass.

Moving up, I've seen the Fender '62 alnico P bass pickups for as low as $49US.

You could replace the crappy wire, jack and tone capacitor in your bass for a major sonic improvement, too. Replace the cap with a mylar, polyester or metal film cap. Replace the wire with solid wire. Move the tone control lead from the top of the volume pot to the wiper of the volume pot. You could even add a .001mfd cap from the top of the volume pot to the wiper. Lots of sonic variations are available with these mods.

Have fun. That's what music is all about. ;)

Gary