Squier PJ: Upgrade to SD 1/4 Lb + Hipshot Kickass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bassiclees, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Bassiclees

Bassiclees Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2020
    Hello Talkbass!
    New member here.
    Anyway, I'm a new bass player, and completing my Squier/Fender Trifecta (Squier Jazz, Fender Precision, Squier PJ) and just ordered a Squier PJ.
    Was thinking about making 2 mods immediately: Seymour Duncan PJ Quarter Pound and Hipshot Kickass bridge.
    Thinking more of doing it to build a relationship with the instrument than tone/feel necessarily as I'm kinda new to Bass (former wind player) but wondering if anyone sees these two particular 'upgrades' as redflags.
    Also planning on stringing it with GHS Precision Flats (I assume the regular- meaning non medium or short for a PJ) it to continue my String Journey (which has so far included a few and I'm in love with D'Addario Tapewounds).
    Thank you in advance for your input.

2. The pickups and bridge should be fine but before you start replacing things I’d recommend playing it for a while and see what, if anything, you don’t like and go from there. As far as “bonding” with your basses, start with doing a good setup. Lots of information in the stickies up above and in threads here. If you’re capable of replacing pickups and bridges you can do a setup.

LoveThatBass and 1uca5x like this.
  3. Bassiclees

Nov 8, 2020
    Truss rod adjustment totally intimidates me. I know I need to get over it, but it does. This week I'm going to commit to quarter turns x2 in each direction and really get to understand impact. Thank you for the input MattL.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I've never understood why people want to do specific mods before they have even played a bass.

I played a Fender Jazz for over 30 years that I bought used with a BassAss II bridge. A few years ago I restored it with a vintage type bridge - no difference.

5. Bassiclees

Nov 8, 2020
    Buldog- the desire to do mods is what I would call 'tinker instinct'. It's not a musical journey necessarily. Also, I'm not a very advanced player... at all. It is unlikely that a bridge or pots (assuming I don't switch from 250k to 500k...) or anything will make me 'suck less' at this point. I think Matt called it- action is probably the most sonically impactful change I could make and that is because it impacts playability. I'm inclined to save my money and get a Real Book in C instead as my only copy is in Eb but I'm grateful for the input from this community. Thanks Buldog.

6. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I'm not a fan of the Quarter Pounder P bass pickup, especially with flats. The QP is pretty low end heavy and scooped in the mids. Flats are generally better suited to P pickups with the standard mid-forward tonality, IMHO.
    As far as changing the bridge, it will get you more experience in setting up the bass, as you will have to fully adjust the heights and intonation. It also has adjustable string spacing, so there's that extra angle thrown in.

I love to tinker, so I can't not support you wanting to change some stuff out and have fun!

1uca5x likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022