Squier Precision Bass 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soulbanana, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    I'm considering buying a Squier Precision Bass V as a working bass that I can bring to clubs and not worry about getting stolen etc.

The new run of this model looks pretty good, espesh the Walnut Stain and 'Burst with tortie pickguard.

I'm considering some upgrades on the hardware to make it a little more gig worthy. I've played a few and feel that better tuners and electronics are in order.

1: Are the pickups just standard 4-string sized blade-magnet jazz pickups (equal length bridge and neck) and what pickups will fit? Does anybody here own one I can bum measurements off?

2: Are the tuners the standard size clover-leaf mountings i.e. direct replacement on Hipshot / Schaller BML?

3: What aftermarket bridges will fit?

I've gone around trying as many of these basses as I can, being aware of quality control issues, and while some have been pretty tragic, one or two boasted pretty good fit and finish, and had good tone both unplugged and plugged in.

This bass will be strung with flats, so what pickup (and preamp combi, if any) would you guys suggest?

Thanks heaps in advance!
  2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I can't answer any of your questions, I would just like to say that I wish someone would make a reasonably priced 5 string with a P pickup. This one may look like a P, but it is really a J.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  4. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Are both pickups the same length, or are they like the MIM Jazzes?
  5. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    kinda like it... Wouldn't mind having a fretless/defretted one...

6. emor

May 16, 2004
    agathis body?

I am unfamiliar with this species. I did a quick search and found that it is a coniferous softwood (like pine).

I am curious about its properties as a musical instrument wood. :confused:

Any info?
  7. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Agathis is really cheap kinda dead tone wood.... put it this way i have agathis in my back garden but i wouldnt see a bass outta it

similar to bass wood in tone
  8. emor

May 16, 2004

That's kind of what I expected.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think that the Squier Precision Bass Special is a great sounding and great playing low-end bass. Mine had noisy pickups, but a great Marcus type of tone. It can be had for around $200 if you look. Even for $250 it's a great deal IMO.
  10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I've got one.
    Pickups are crap.
    Replaced mine with Bartolini soapbars.
    Huge change in sound.
    Neck is great.
    Nice bass except for original pickups.
  11. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Hi Mojo-man. By soapbars, do you mean that you routed the body out to fit them in? What model did you get?

I'd prefer to get direct Bart drop-in replacements as that would be heaps less work.
  12. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    I was also considering the Peavey Millenium 5 BXP off Music123. Again, twin Jazz pickups, but what size? These look wider than the ones on the Squier, but it could be because of the string spacing. Help?
  13. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My 100$ SX nails the marcus miller tone.