Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier Precision bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I was at a friends house jamming today, and I brought my Ric. We worked on a song for a concert this upcoming friday. I noticed a Squier P-bass leaned against a wall. I checked it out and realized it was fretless. My friend's brother who is also my friend plays bass and defretted it. He also added a layer or two of epoxy. The bass plays amazingly. It gets a real jaco tone which amazed me. I asked if I could borrow it, and he said okay. I've recorded two tracks playing through my Boss DD-6 delay and they sound amazing. I never knew a squier could achieve such a good tone and feel so good. The only actual problem with the bass is that the tuners suck. Has anyone else ever had a good experience with a squier or usually shizzy bass :p?

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Yup! I had a 2001 Anniversary Edition Precision Special that I really liked. It was an exceptional player but I traded for a more upscale bass. Almost wish I had kept it.

Dan

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My Essex fretless P has real potential. If i replaced the pickups i bet it would sound amazing, but i dont feel like putting money into it. I just bought it so i could have a fretless to knock around on. Its a great bass though.

4. girlybassplaya

girlybassplaya Guest

Mar 24, 2004
    USA BABY!
    Hey, I have a squire P kickin around here, could you tell me how your friend defretted it? That would be an awesome project! :confused:

5. i hear that. my old squire P is great except for the tuners. i gave it to my bother 'bout a year and a half ago. Now i am trying to find a tactfull way to get it back :rolleyes:

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    He just ripped out the frets. You can use a butter knife, a nail clipper, some small pliers. He filled the fret holes with wood putty, and then covered the board with a polyurethane substance.

7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    My squier P-bass is good. I know I wont get more then $100 for it so I'm keeping it. :D