1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Precision bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I was at a friends house jamming today, and I brought my Ric. We worked on a song for a concert this upcoming friday. I noticed a Squier P-bass leaned against a wall. I checked it out and realized it was fretless. My friend's brother who is also my friend plays bass and defretted it. He also added a layer or two of epoxy. The bass plays amazingly. It gets a real jaco tone which amazed me. I asked if I could borrow it, and he said okay. I've recorded two tracks playing through my Boss DD-6 delay and they sound amazing. I never knew a squier could achieve such a good tone and feel so good. The only actual problem with the bass is that the tuners suck. Has anyone else ever had a good experience with a squier or usually shizzy bass :p?

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Yup! I had a 2001 Anniversary Edition Precision Special that I really liked. It was an exceptional player but I traded for a more upscale bass. Almost wish I had kept it.

Dan

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My Essex fretless P has real potential. If i replaced the pickups i bet it would sound amazing, but i dont feel like putting money into it. I just bought it so i could have a fretless to knock around on. Its a great bass though.

4. girlybassplaya

girlybassplaya Guest

Mar 24, 2004
    USA BABY!
    Hey, I have a squire P kickin around here, could you tell me how your friend defretted it? That would be an awesome project! :confused:

5. i hear that. my old squire P is great except for the tuners. i gave it to my bother 'bout a year and a half ago. Now i am trying to find a tactfull way to get it back :rolleyes:

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    He just ripped out the frets. You can use a butter knife, a nail clipper, some small pliers. He filled the fret holes with wood putty, and then covered the board with a polyurethane substance.

7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    My squier P-bass is good. I know I wont get more then $100 for it so I'm keeping it. :D