1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Precision BEAD tuning help.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by blackdunes, Jan 26, 2012.

1. blackdunes

blackdunes

Oct 5, 2011
    I have a Fender Squier sixties classic vibe precision bass and I have it in the tuning of BEAD. When I first tuned it down with the original strings there was obviously a lot of rattle so I got Rotosound drop zone strings going up to .135. The thicker strings makes it a lot tighter to play but I was recording with it earlier this month and I noticed a problem.

The tone of it is quite bad. Sounds a dull bell. I thought maybe this was a problem with it being recorded direct in but I recorded with my friend's really cheap and rubbish bass and it sounded a lot better.

Any suggestions as to what could be the problem?

2. NewLaw83

NewLaw83

Jun 26, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Maybe lower the saddles on the bridge? Also the pickups may need to be raised.

3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Were the nut slots filed to accommodate the larger strings?

4. stanley00

stanley00

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    I have tuned a number of basses to BEAD over the years with mixed results. I have the most success with active basses and basses with Jazz pickups. P-bass type pickups never gave me any good amount of focus for a low B, just boom. The Squier P pickup just might not work well tone wise for a low B. I have also needed to raise the pickups really close to the B on order for it to sound balanced at all. Good luck!