1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Precision vs. CV60 vs. MIM vs. MIA

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wetzelman1, Sep 29, 2010.

1. wetzelman1

wetzelman1

Feb 12, 2009
    I had a lower end Spector that I was gigging for about a year. Was never quite too stoked about the tone but it played nicely. At the beginning of the summer I dug out my old Squier Affinity P (20th Anniversary Ed.) and plugged it in and had a blast. Decided I'd take some time and try fixin her up to play again.

Everyone was going crazy over the Classic Vibes and a cheap pickup set from the 60's CV came up in the classifieds so I picked em up, threw em in, and wasn't satisfied with the output or punch and they were very noisy. I had also gone ahead and put an orange drop cap in and shielded the cavity.

I know the alnico vs. ceramic, but the fender website doesn't exactly outline what each of these pickups are.
    So what is the difference between all of these?

2. drewfunk

drewfunk

May 10, 2010
    Olympia, Wa
    The VM squiers are the ones with upgraded pickups, grab some of those.

3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Are you positive these are CVs? I don't usually buy used pickups because I'm not sure that I would know the difference visually.

4. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The pickups are, and say "Duncan Designed" on the VM's.

Bob

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    If the pickups are noisy they are wired up wrong. Were the two halves connected together when you got them?

An orange drop wont change the tone of your bass. I'm not sure what that fad is all about these days.

If you want a real P bass tone get a Duncan SPB-1.

6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Over the Fender '62? Not making a statement. Just asking. Curious as to why.

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Because Duncan makes better pickups IMHO. His are made like the real thing. Often Fender makes pickups that looks like the real thing, and that's as far as it goes.

Some of their recent "reissues" are purely cosmetic, like the Jazzmaster and the Tele Wide Range humbuckers. They aren't made the right way at all. This ain't the Fender from back in the day with Leo. This is just a large corporation that wants to make a lot of money. (Who even owns Fender these days?) If they have to use cheap Asian pickups to save a buck or two they will. Geddy Lee even complained to them about the poor quality of the tuners they used on his bass.

Seymour's been making pickups far longer than any current employee at Fender. Jason Lollar and Lindy Fralin make nice traditional pickups as well.

8. wetzelman1

wetzelman1

Feb 12, 2009
    i'm really curious if someone could give me a rundown of what makes each pickup different physically and a general explanation of their tone?

I'm just torn on what to do and can't afford expensive experimenting. I know the squier is ceramic and always called crap, but it sounded better to me than the CV which i'm pretty sure is alnico and people seem to really dig.