1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier ProTone Precision string tree retainer guide thingy

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bunnykeeper, Sep 20, 2017.

1. bunnykeeper

bunnykeeper

May 28, 2011
    Japan
    Does anyone know where to get one of these cheap? I haven't seen a string tree like it anywhere. I don't even know if it has a special name... any ideas?

squier string tree.jpg

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    For what it's worth, I'm 99% sure that's not the factory string tree for that bass.

ZenG likes this.
  3. I've seen those on various sites for sale.

Allparts has them.

Some places they are known as "string trees", other places they are known as "string guides".

Check the length and screw hole spacing. Replacements aren't all exactly the same.

4. bunnykeeper

bunnykeeper

May 28, 2011
    Japan
    I found those, too, but they're not what I'm looking for. The screw hole spacing on those is much wider than the part I'm looking to replace.

I'm 99% sure it is. Virtually everything I've found in a Google image search for "Squier Pro Tone PJ bass" shows that part. Even ones right here on TB.

I did not see them on the Allparts site, just the ones mentioned above.

Thanks for your help, though. I might have to devise a plan B. Right now, I've got a round string tree in there, and the A is buzzing.

5. bunnykeeper

bunnykeeper

May 28, 2011
    Japan
  6. bunnykeeper

bunnykeeper

May 28, 2011
    Japan
    Those are all designed to cover four strings. They have a screw hole spacing of about 28mm. The Squier part is designed to cover only three strings, and the screw hole spacing is about 10mm.

7. On all the sites listed in this thread they have a multitude of string trees in different configurations that may work as a replacement for your bar type.

Good luck in your search..

8. bunnykeeper

bunnykeeper

May 28, 2011
    Japan
    Thanks for your help.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020