1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Sandard P Bass Special question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LT131, Mar 28, 2015.

1. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    This model is a P/J with Jazz neck.There is one of these things nearby on CL. Anybody have/had one? Good, bad, ugly? Worth $125?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Yep, common to have some neck issues, so check the truss rod turns before buying. Its whats you would expect from a Squier, parts all work but nothing super awesome in terms of hardware.

Paid $120 for the one I have. Had cheetos and stuff in the control cavity. YMMV

3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I've had…

SPBS.

…a few…

SSPBS03_zpsa0cb9c92.

…over the years. ;)

SJB_zpsb47d8858.

Okay, the last one isn't a P-Bass Special, but it is a Squier Standard, thus it's relevant to what I'm going to say.

Like any guitar/bass production line, there will be gems and clunkers. For example, the of the three pictured above, one is "awesome", the next was "meh" and the last was "pretty darn good". If you can, check it out thoroughly before buying, even if you have to bring some tools and an amp with. On the other hand, if you have to grab it "sight-unseen", it's not the biggest layout of cash you'll encounter in the musical instruments field. That, and you could always re-list it and sell it yourself, either here or on Craigslist.

One big thing to mention if you should want to modify it at all…over the years, the Squier Standard Line drifted away from the standardized Fender "footprint". In other words, not all upgrades or replacement parts will just drop right in. One example, of many, are the pickups. The bridge pickup on their Jazzes and P-Bass Specials are identical in size to the neck pickups. Also, pickguards will have to be sanded/dremeled to properly fit, and the list goes on.

I'm not trying to scare you away from what could be an excellent purchase. Hell, all the Standards I've bought and kept came in at around the same price-point, so if it works, that's a fair price. But I wanted you to be warned of some of the pitfalls that come with wanting to tinker with one.

Happy Hunting and tell us if you got it or not, 'kay? Inquiring minds want to know! :thumbsup:

One other thing; Standard P-Bass Specials are not to be confused with the current crop of Affinity and Vintage Modified Precision PJ's. They are the newer models and do not have the slimmer Jazz neck. :bookworm:

4. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    The one for sale here looks identical to the first one in your post, less case. If I buy it would be to tinker with being intrigued with that pickup combo. So, it is a Jazz neck width but a chunkier profile? I appreciate the info.

5. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Do you know what year it is, or have serial number info?

6. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    I don't but if I can get the seller on the horn maybe they'll oblige. Actually I'm pleased that Squiers have a serial number!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  7. VerryBerry

VerryBerry Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    I've got a NOS 2009 purchased new in Jan 2012, as my first bass. I got a good one, as the neck is excellent, set up with low action, yet I can dig in with a pick and not get buzz. I thought of trading it in this week, but could not bring myself to do it, even though I have other American basses. It makes a great beater bass as mine is not the sealed poly finish that will crack and check if you expose it to extreme temperature changes.

Pickups are not much to write home about. Wish Fender would have used a bridge pickup in the bridge instead of the smaller neck pickup. One of these days I will route out the hole at the bridge for a standard sized bridge pick up. That will open up more options.

Picture below:

Squire.

rickwebb and LT131 like this.
  8. VerryBerry

Mar 4, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    Just as a point of comparison, when these basses were current, they were selling new for $280 in the US and in Canada. If the neck is good, $125 is a good deal.

9. mel0dic.bassist

mel0dic.bassist

Jul 9, 2014
    Canada
    My Standard Series P-Special was made in 1999, was my first bass, and I still have it.

Unfortunately, playing in punk bands in my early/highschool years, it took a lot of abuse and needs some serious work to be comfortable to play. The action is super high, pretty sure the truss rod is damaged (if not broken), there are cracks in the neck following the skunk line and where the fretboard/neck are joined. It's also covered in stickers, and the pole pieces of the pickups are rusted. The hardware is getting tarnished and the pickguard is turning yellow.

I love this bass, it was the bass I "grew up" on. I didn't know about the tech-specs of basses, and found later on in life that I prefer the wider Precision nut width.

So, is it a good bass? Absolutely, like Malak stated, with any mass-produced products, you'll get a great one, or a complete beast. I fortunately got a good one and plan on putting a new neck (probably a MIM P), new pickups (either Duncan's or MFD's, hardware, and a refinish.

I'll have to get a pic of it later on. But keep in mind, I received this at age 11 and any damage was self-induced and not a result of QC.

I think my parents paid around $450 cdn. Back in the day for it.

10. VerryBerry

Mar 4, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    Ahhh.... My Squier is a Standard Series - not a "Standard Special". It sounds like the bridge pickup size is still the same on both the Standard Special and the Standard. Looks like the Specials had painted headstocks.

Edit: Looks like enough hardware similarity and sharing to make my above post relevant - except for the new sell price perhaps.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  11. Damn you Brian!!!! (Drool!)
    SPBS.

12. Malak the Mad

If it's a P/J configuration with "Squier Precision Bass" plus "Standard" in small script at the tip of the headstock, then yes, it should be a Jazz neck…doubly so if it's in that color with a matching headstock.

It's worth mentioning that this very bass, model and color-scheme, is the one that first compelled me to start looking for it as my first-ever bass. Mind you, it became the second bass I ever bought, as they had been discontinued and were hard to find.

Ah, the Walnut Satin finish! Very nice choice…quite classy! I had a Standard Jazz in the same color.

P1050906__05654136406681112801280_zpsa4bd38b2.

It was a decent bass. Nothing was wrong with it, but it weighed in at 10lbs2oz…rather on the heavy side. It became part of a trade that helped get me a much higher quality bass.

Yours is most definitely a Squier Standard Precision Bass Special. It was designated the "Special" as it's official title, despite there being no decal that spelled it out.

:angel: :whistle: :p

rickwebb likes this.
  13. VerryBerry

Mar 4, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    Hey Malak - Thanks for the confirmation!

I'm lucky - my PJ only weighs 8.6 lbs.

Yet another reason to keep it - again, in spite of having other "fancier" basses. :)

14. Fatboy 2015

Fatboy 2015

Mar 13, 2015
    OK, not sure if I'm really qualified being weeks into a bass playing carrer, but I put a lot more into buildig mine from parts, and yes, I had a good bass tech follow up my work, but I love mine.

15. Thebrownarrow

Thebrownarrow

Jul 23, 2011
    Some guy is selling the black one with the mirror pickguard on Craigslist locally. Really tempting. Looks like it is good condition, plus he is throwing in a hsc for 200. Super tempting.

16. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I know Malak knows these well, and the others comments have pretty well summed these rascals up ... just a couple additional offerings ... in the Squier STANDARD series, since the '01 model year, there was no Precision with just the single split P pup ... every Precision in the Standard line was a P/J, and a P Special ... the two versions that had the painted headstock where the Black & Chrome and the Satin Pewter Metallic ... nothing else is different on these two models, except the cosmetics ...

There were a few that had neck issues I had heard about, but not enough that I would classify as problematic, at least not any more than Jazz spec MIM Standards, which share a very similar profile ... certainly I cant speak for anyone else's experience on the necks, but having had probably at least a half dozen of the P Specs and almost twice that amount of the Squire Standard J's, I have experienced a fair sampling since they both use the same neck ...

One issue that has re-occurred on the P Specs, is with the edge mounted input jacks .. they work loose fairly easily, and if you dont stay aware of it, the wires can twist and short ... no biggie though, simple fix ... and being aware and prevention is even simpler ..

regarding the bridge size pup ... the 'routing' of the cavity is also quite simple ... just an FYI, but this is also an issue shared with the pre July '01 MIM Standards ... I have adapted quite a few, and with a simple dremel it is about a half hour job .. basically just taking a bit off of each end of the routing, and clearing around the pup cover screw flares ... the one caution is that you remove the routing finish in the process ... I have just always coated the new 'routing' with flat black shielding paint ...

In several ways, this Squier Standard Series morphed into the Squier Vintage Modified line which was introduced in '07 ... several similarities despite the differences ... just a personal preferrence, but I tried to opt for the '01-'07 years Sq Stand Series, as they were using in essence the same style tuning machines as the MIM Standards, Am Specs, Hwy's, etc ... the last few years most of the tuning machines were the 'flat bottom' type as some of the later Squiers (CV's)... also the Sq Standard J's in this time frame did not have channel routing from the neck pup to the control cavity, just the oversized routing ... the newer ones were channel routed.. some of the bodies were also thinner in this time frame, comparable with Fender Road Worn's ...

The posts on weight for these are accurate, these agathis bodied basses are all over the board ... I have had them arrive from the high 7# range, all the way up to almost 11#'s!! ... FWIW, of what I had, the lightest were the Shoreline Gold, Candy Apple Red, and Pewter Met ...the heaviest were the Sunburst and the Walnut Satin ...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    VerryBerry and Malak the Mad like this.
  17. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    This would be the Black & Chrome version I spoke of above ... should be black headstock as well ...

18. Fatboy 2015

Fatboy 2015

Mar 13, 2015
    Sounds like a good deal to me, I spent more than that on a new loaded body, but it was what I wanted, less the pups,which I resold, plus I was covolesing and wanted a project.

19. Malak the Mad

Couldn't have said it better myself!

(S'up, thj? I figured it was only a matter of time before you chimed in here! ;))

You may be on to something. I never weighed my first Standard Jazz, but my current one weighs-in at 8lbs14oz, and that's with a Hipshot Drop-D tuner installed. My P-Bass Special feels to be around the same, or possibly even lighter, (I haven't weighed it yet, either) while the Walnut Satin Jazz I showed off earlier was a hefty 10lbs2oz. (yikes!)

And in regards to the open-back tuners you mention below; yeah, they seem to be compatible with the MIM tuners. The Hipshot Drop-D tuner I just mentioned…specifically, the BT7…just dropped in with no need to re-drill new screw holes.

If I may…personally, I suspect the ultimate ender to the Standard Series of basses (they still make Squier Standard Strats…go fig!) was the Classic Vibe Series. I have a PDF from 2008 (early, I think) and it has Standards and Vintage Modified's listed side by side. The debut of the CV line seems to fall in with the Standards getting discontinued.

While searching for my Great White Whale Pewter P-Bass Special, I called Fender directly. After punching a few keys on his computer, I was told the last of the pewter PJ's were manufactured in 2008 and were finished being shipped out in 2009. There's a little overlap, with other Standards still kickin' around for a little while, but it makes me suspect Squier had to sacrifice one line to start up another.

Not to go off on a rant, but I think this all may have something to do with the significant seed-change that took place within Fender/Squier back around 2008/9. Many people here on TB have noted that their across-the-board quality control got a serious up-tick around that time. And when you factor in how the VM's and CV's are much, much closer to the aforementioned "Fender Standardized Footprint", it makes me think "Spare Parts" was also on their agenda. I mean, think of the profit that can be made by selling Custom Shop '60s pickups and a new $40 pickguard to a Squier-owner. If that was the case, then the Standard Series had to go, what with it's significant incompatibilities with other Fender/Squier gear and parts. :eyebrow:

Nwar%2BDetective%2BCartoon%2B-%2BConspiracy%2BTheory%2BBulletin%2BBoard. :D

VerryBerry likes this.
  20. Malak the Mad

More like, "super not bad"! If it's in decent working order, it should be a solid instrument. And like @tjh said, if it's got the matching headstock (oh, how I loves me them matching headstocks!) it's a limited-run called the "Precision Bass Special: Black & Chrome Edition". They still make Squier Standard Stratocasters in that color scheme.

Black and Chrome Standard Stratocaster®
    Black and Chrome Standard Stratocaster® HSS