1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier shortscale PJ bass made in Japan?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dougjwray, Jul 27, 2012.

1. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I saw one of these tonight. It was made in the '80s ("E" serial number). The neck was really nice and straight, and someone had installed EMG pickups. It had a "Japan" decal. I wouldn't normally get it because I'm not crazy about shortscale basses. However, it did sound good, and that neck was great. Anyone have info about these? I've never seen one before. The store was asking $399, BTW.

2. Never seen one, but it sounds very cool. I've seen Japanese Squiers sell for similar prices to that.

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    They're around, with both Squier and Fender labels. I think they're more common in the domestic Japanese and maybe the EU markets. The few I've played have been exactly like their full scale cousins, super solid and well build.

4. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Well, I did buy it. Now I just need to play it in a band context, to see whether it has sufficient gonads. That's my only worry... if it does, I'll keep it and adjust to occasionally switching off to it, when the setting is right. (I don't want my hands to get too accustomed to the short scale.) The thing is, the neck and frets couldn't be better, and the whole instrument just feels solid and broken-in. It might end up being a recording bass, particularly because the EMGs in it are so quiet.

5. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Also, it was made in the '80s, and I can't resist "vintage" basses. :rolleyes:

6. makaspar

makaspar Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I bought one in 93 with a case for $300 - so good grab! If you ever want to sell, let me know, for real.. That was my first bass, and if it wasn't stolen, I would still have it.. Great pickup!

Come to think of it - if the neck says 12-26-84, and it's Olympic white with tort, it probably IS mine! I'll still buy it if you ever sell.

7. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Thanks, Makaspar. I'll make a note of that, seriously.
    I don't think this is the one you had, though-- it's vintage white with a white/black/white pickguard, and the serial number seems to indicate that it was made in '87 (E779***).

8. I am guessing it was a P originally and routed for a J.

9. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I don't know either way, but others (above) seem to think that a PJ was made for awhile.

10. makaspar

makaspar Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Austin, TX
    How about some pics? :D