Squier, should I?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Samie, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I have been playing bass for over 15years now. I have gone through all styles of musics from jazz to pop to ethnic music.

Four years ago I embraced a new philosophy. The "one man, one bass, one cable, one amp" philosofy. I got rid of everything except my fretless V and my ashdown abm combo. NO fx, no pedals, no frets. I has been really a great experience.

Now I am back into producing. Sometimes it takes too long to record with the frettless so I am looking into a cheapo fretted bass.

Its mostly very traditional basic bass stuff comercial pop/hiphop/nuRnB and any fretted bass that stays in tune will do.

Anyways, I went down to the store where my luthier friend works and checked out 4 or 5 bottom end bass that sounded ok.

After that I tried the squier just to compare.. and low and behold it sounded a lot better than the yam and ibanez bass I had tried. My friend was really amazed and had to admit that he did not expect that.

Here is my question? should I go for the squier jazz-bass or pay a little more and get a MIM fender?

I am in spain and the really are not many others to choose from.

I really dont have much time to check out second hand basses. I want something cheap now.
  2. From what ive read squires and mim fenders can vary from really crap to very good...if you find a squire that isnt crap and feels good go for it...i played a squire at my local music shop and it wasnt to bad...so yeah if you find one you feel comfortable with go for it
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm not surprised that Fender-style basses sound better - they have a long history and stick to a tried and tested formula. As has been mentioned - you can get good and bad - but the MIM Fenders seem to be particulary good value in Europe.

PS - I will be in Madrid on 27th December - staying at the Hotel El Coloso . :)
  4. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Yeah I guess that to, the thing is at the time they did not have any MIM to do a check. My intentions were to get a MIM, I han no plans of even testing the squier. I was a real surprise to hear it.

Then of course there is the other for recording ...debate J-bass or P-bass? do must players record with a P-bass or a J-bass? hmmm :confused: pro /cons...

In Madrid?? wow are u playing? were? with who?
  5. Bruce Lindfield

I'm just having a holiday - it's my girlfriend's birthday that day, so I am taking her to Madrid for a few days - staying in a nice (hopefully) hotel - going to some nice restaurants, maybe visit the Prado, etc. etc. :)
  6. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I'll say go for the MIM jazz.

Definitly better than the squier, and you won't regret it if you want tu upgrade it later (like new bridge)

For the difference of money ( +-200 euros) you'll have more pleasure with the Fender.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Any ideas for places to see some good music while I'm in Madrid - inbetween Christmas and New Year?

Or any other suggestions for things not to miss in Madrid?
  8. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    :eek: :eek:

truly amazINg!! remember the store I've been talking about where I checked the basses and were my luthier friend works etc? Its right in the street of your hotel! less than 2 minute walk.

The word is truly a smalllll place.

Madrid is a great city. Your hotel is right in the center of the town, where everything is at.

I love Madrid's night live! we usually find a place to eat at about 10pm, a little copita, a little sangria until about 1 am. Then we go find a place to drink something and to get the night starting. We usually hop around a couple of different places until about 3am. That is when the night starts to happening and people go out to the bigger clubs. At about 6 - 7 am people go out of the clubs and into the bars to have some breakfast (churros).

Then u can sleep until 11 -12 and then do some sight seeing until 2-3pm, eat. Then a little siesta(nap). At 5-6pm you go out shoping etc

There is also a lot of other activities if u dont like night life.

The royal palace, "la plaza mayor", "sol", they are all within walking distance of ur hotel.

There is also great shoping all over

Check these sites for activities

http://madrid.lanetro.com, you can search for everything in madrid from this sitel

http://fotos.qdq.com, you can see a photo of any street in madrid

This is your HOtel

live music in cafe central and http://www.salaclamores.com/

well I could go on and on...

I will probably be getting a MIM presition today!!
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Well it sounds pretty good - although some of those links don't work?

I've had churros and chocolate in Granada - I think in "El Corte Ingles" ...sounded like the right place to go!! ;)

Last year we went to Seville and Granada at Xmas.

I'm not sure we'll be staying up that late though...;)
  10. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Yeah u dont have to party all night if u dont wanna!!

BTW no two minute walk, your hotel is right infront of the store...

Speaking of which.... I finaly choose... A...

Fender Zone!! lol

That is right :eek:

After trying a zillion basses in the store I picked up this MIM FEnder Zone that was still in the box. It had just arrived.

Within seconds of trying it out everyone in the store had that "uuuu nasty nasty nasty" sweet face.

The bass was in my hands but I sware it was alive. It was playing, I was just watching my hands move! I pulled away the lows, played some chords... chillz down my spine... lol :bassist:

I checked other basses after that (I did want them to know that a was druling). American, Mexican, squier, precision etc. Sure, traditional jazz bass have that sound that is so sweet but the Zone is just so so flexible...

anyways I hope I made the right decition!!
  11. lazybassplayer

Dec 5, 2003
    I think that you can do better than a squire without paying much more than you would for a squire.

Fender MiM Jazz or P bass. Both of these are solid choices that are playable and sound great. If you go with a J bass, beware of the noise if you're into producing/recording. The pickups are not reverse wound and generate significant 60 cycle hum.

OLP- OLP is making musicmans and spectors (i think), both solid and good sounding choices.

Essex/SX/Brice- While I've never played any of these basses, they are suggested alot for cheap, upgradable, and good sounding basses.

Before you buy, be sure it plays/sounds the way you want. Don't buy purely on reputation

12. Why would it take longer to record with a fretless? :confused:
  13. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you found a bass that feels good and sounds like you want it to sound, then get it. Nothing wrong with a Squier if you found one that you like. Sure, you can get a MIM, but there is no guarrantee that the MIM will actually be any better. It might be, then again you may have found one of the really good Squiers.

As for J or P, get whatever like. Both have been used in that music genre. Both will do the job.

I've got to admit, I'm also wondering why it would take longer to record with fretless when that is the bass you play exclusively. Of course, the decision is yours. So, do what feels right to you.
  14. Nice choice!

15. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain

Try picking up a frettless after a month of not playing at all!!

Its about tunning and maintenance.

I dont practice as much as I did back in the days. Now I am mainly making some beats and samples and mixing.

You need to be in good shape if u want to record with a frettless. The recordings will not forgive any mistuning no matter how small it is.

once less thing to worry about!!!

Yeah, fretted zone, now I can lay the tracks in no time.. where is my grammy? :bawl: lol
  16. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    as far as Squiers go, I own a P-Special. It's the best feeling neck of the 3 basses I have, but I do like the Essex Jazz sound better. That may change though when I put my flats on the P.
  17. They're reverse-wound now.* The way to tell is by the knobs. The reverse-wound MIM J's have MIA J style knobs. The earlier MIM J's had dome-hat 1 through 10 knobs.

*That's not to say that 60 cycle hum is eliminated.
  18. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Yeah, that is what I got. So far so good. It sound a lot different from my Yamaha TRB5II. Just different.