Squier Special 4 string or BC rich beast

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HCN, May 22, 2002.

1. HCN

May 22, 2002
    I'm looking to buy a new bass. From what I've heard the BC Rich isnt as good as the special. I'd like your opinion. Id also like to know your reasoning. thanks
  2. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    The Squier P-Bass Special is very versatile. The neck is a J, so it’s real easy to play, and the balance is like one expects a P-Bass to be. The build quality is generally excellent. The tuners are OK and should be good enough for a few years at least. The pups are the weak point on all low-end basses, including the new MIM Stds, but both the pups and the electronics can be easily upgraded at any time for less than US$100.

Because of the unique qualities of the P-Bass Special, there is no obvious used alternative. Cheaper new alternatives include the Squier MB-4 and equivalent Ibanez SR-200.

If a J neck and a J pup are not required then a used MIM Fender P would be the way to go, but of course it’s not as versatile.

I don't know anything about the BC Rich.
  3. The BC Rich costs a lot more...not implying that that is an advantage or disadvantage, but it should be taken into consideration. As far as versatility goes, I've heard that BC Richs are versatile enough to be used for other genres of music, even though their looks are meant for metal.
    The Beast looks so awesome!!
  4. BC Rich Beast: Runs about $500 for the cheapest version. Dual Precision pups roar! Stock pups have generally weak output. Will require an upgrade within a year. Balance is awful, and is uncomfortable to play. Looks bad ass for a metal band.

Squier Standard Special: Runs around $220. P and J pups offer more versatility. Pups also have weak output. Easier to upgrade. All Fender aftermarket parts will fit with minimal adjustments.

The Squier is probably a better deal overall.

My .02
  5. I've got a B.C. Rich warlock I'm not sorry I spent the cash. It will take you some time to adjust to the ballance and the shape of it.