Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier Special P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChronicPyromaniac, Jun 24, 2001.

1. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    I saw this bass on MF, and I was wondering if it's worth the money. You see, as a 15-year-old, no places in my area will give me a job, so I'm poor. I'll have to save all summer to get a this bass and I'm wondering if it's worth my time.

ALSO, will a Standard P-Bass pickguard fit this? I like custom pickguards.... :)

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    It's a fine bass for learning on and worth the bux IMO, (Let the flaming begin!)... Also, if you decide to stick with bass and upgrade later, the Squire is a fine axe for modifying and experimenting with.

-robert

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A P bass pickguard will not fit this bass, because it has J pickups.

4. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    I'm talking about a 4-string with 1 P and 1 J pickup. The P-pickup is at the mid location (standard p-bass) and the J-pickup is near the bridge...so it might, that's why I asked.

I like modifying and experimenting :D

5. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    I have one and it ROX!!! But the strings that came on it were crap. Yes a standard pickgaurd will fit, i got a perloid one it's very pretty. :)

6. How much are you gonna be paying for it? Because the price of the Squiers is on the rise, and you can get a MIM Fender for only $10 to $40 more, depending on where you live. The Squier PJ at my local shop is $290, which is$10 less than a MIM Jazz. If you decide to go with a PJ, they aren't as bad as some people say.

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    the squier was about $50 more here :eek: I talked to the sales guy and said "Why are the squiers priced higher then the fenders,both are FMIC, & the squier is of lesser quality" the guy looked @ me like "whats your point" i don't go there that much any more. thats all

8. Thrillkiller

Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    NC
    I bought my Squier P Special a couple of months ago from a local dealer, they wanted $250 for it until I showed them a MF catalog that listed the same bass for $200 so they matched the price. VERY MUCH worth the money! The only thing really "budget" about the bass is the pickups, IMO. But that's easily cured with $100 worth of SD replacements! Really, a decent bass.

9. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    MF has it online for $229.99. Is that too much or just right?
    BTW, Billy, what color is yours and where did you get your pickguard? I was thinking pearloid, too!

10. Actually, I like the playability of my Squier better than the Fenders in the store, but the sound of the Fenders is better, this is due to the electronics I guess.

11. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    watch it when you're changing the pick-guards on those Squiers ! when i had mine i changed the standard white one to red pearl and something went terribly wrong. i don't know if the guy who changed it for me f*cked up or something, but when i got it back the top half of the split-coil pickup squashed into the cavity when i tried to use it to wedge my thumb on to play on the E ! if ya gonna do it, do it yourself, i says.

12. KumoriNeko

KumoriNeko Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Be carefull if you want to modify, cause you can't change it back (easily). I put a 62' Fender pickguard on my Squier P, it looks great. Though I had to drill an extra hole because on the left (or top?) of the pickguard, and file around the pickup holes becuase of the different sizes like bruknow said. I also put a thumbrest, pup and bridge cover on, which involved drilling. If you want to modify, think about it since you don't have the money to go out and fix it if you screw up bad.

13. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Hey, thanks for the tips on pickguard replacement...I could have screwed that up pretty bad...and Tones, I was gonna do it myself...I don't trust anyone else with my gear (especially if I don't know them).

14. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Pricing:

Blk Sparkle, I think Shoreline Gold, $209 @ Guitar Center
    Sunburst: $249 @ GC

IMO: Decent bass for the money. I would try to find a used Mex Std Jazz for about the same money, but as new basses go, that or the De Armond Pilot Std (closeout @ GC, but used to be $219).

Big Red

15. if its one of the better squires with a jazz pickup, get it if u want, if its not, dont!

id recomend the ibanez gsr-200 if ur wanting a quality bass at an affordable price.

A friend of mine bought a squire bass a few months back that wasnt of a very high quality. Look out for sharp edges on the fingerboard if u do decide to get one.

I bought a squire about 11 months ago. it was really really good but lacked personality and didnt match up to the gsr-200s playability that i bought as a part exchange 5 months later.

once u get some new good quality strings on the gsr-200, u'll play and sound like a pro in no time.

they were the same price, so id definatly recomend the ibanez.

hope u make the right decision

16. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Actually, I think I'm going to go with a MIM Fender P-Bass....I would get a Jazz, but they're $15 more, and I don't really like them. The Precision is more "me." That's why I was asking about the Squier Special, it can get an apprximate sound like either, and is shaped like a P-Bass. It's not Squiers in general I'm wondering about, I've got an Affinity P, and I wanna upgrade to something a little "better." Thanks anyway!