1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Standard Jazz ... or..... Squier Affinity P-Bass...please tell me ur opinion!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Punk_Princess19, Sep 16, 2001.

1. Squier Affinity P-Bass

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Squier Standard Jazz

33 vote(s)
    73.3%
  1. :) Which one is better for the money and sounds best. The Affinity is cheaper than the Jazz... tell me ur opionion:D :) :(

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    P has one sound, J has plenty of diversity.
    I'd go for a J.

And two years later for a P, if we're still talking cheapo Squires.

3. MODELL

MODELL

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I would go for the Squire Jazz Bass. It has a slimmer neck and more tones (2 pickups). This also gives you 2 thumb anchors for fingerstyle playing.

4. There is no such thing as a Squier Jazz, is there? There are "P's" & "P-Specials". Or am I mistaken? (that would be a first :) ).

Fine, don't believe me? Look for yourself....

SQUIER WEBSITE

5. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    The Squier webpage is very out of date...

Squier introduced a Jazz bass at the Jan 00 NAMM show.

6. Just goes to show what I know. That's pretty bad marketing for Fender's Squier site not to list those -Make me look like like an ass! Ok, I'll shuddup and leave now.

7. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    You could also look into a P-special. They have more diversity that the P and I think the same price.

8. KillsOn4String

KillsOn4String

Jul 11, 2001
    I got a P-bass (squier). It sounds good. Although, i haven't tried a jazz. If i were you i would buy..... hell i don't know. Don't take advice from me.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Punk_Princess19 is in Canada, and the price shown on the guitarstop webpage I am almost positive is in Canadian $$$. The MIM Standard P bass price of $299 is in US $$$. That's a lot bigger difference in price than it looks like.

10. Uhr.. erm.. whoopsy..

you're right.. 1 $ US = 1.54 $ CAN.

so it would be about ehm.. 460 $ CAN. :rolleyes:

ungf... ok.. i never posted that last message, ok ? :p

11. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    go for the jazz, be happy

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I tried a couple P specials at GC and imo the J pickup was there for decoration only,it didnt seem to contribute to the sound in any way.Still a decent Bass for the buck,but I expected more sound-wise.

If the price is the same,Id probably go for the J.

13. I have the P-special and the J pickup doesn't have much impact unless it's nearly up full and the p is quite low down. It's not bad though, and it's nice to have the choice of what to use.

Get either the P-special or J because the affinity P isn't quite so good, my friend has one.

14. I'd go for the Jazz... I've never played a precision that I liked... just not my thang.

15. I have a Squire P-bass, just so I could say that I have one. (And to make a few modifications to)

But now I am kicking my self, and wih I had heard of the Squire jazz. Get jazz, jazz gooooood.

Rock on
    Eric

16. difineatly the P-special its got the best from both worlds, plus i think they sound awsome together.

17. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    And why pay extra $$$ for the Fender logo?
    IME, the wood quality of the Squire is as high as a MIA! Have I just been lucky to find the few "perfect" Squires an d unlucky to find the only lo-Q MIAs? Have I???:confused:

OK, pups may be simpler, but many people change their MIM pups, which, some sources claim, are made in the US....

IME, Squire is a lot of Fender for the money.

But, OTOH - who needs a Fender?:p

18. ** newbie-voice on **

But.. But Jaco.....

** newbie-voice on **

:D