1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Standard P-Bass Special quandary

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BruceNH, Dec 10, 2018.

1. BruceNH

BruceNH

Dec 9, 2018
    So, I'm looking at a 1998 Squier Standard P-Bass on CL, debating whether to pull the trigger on it.

Cons:

Neck is bowed, truss rod is tight, but I *think* I could clamp it and bring it back to straight.

Pick guard is aftermarket and the neck pick-up is wedged awkwardly in the opening. Should be a simple fix.

Pots have a little crackle to them. Not the end of the world.

Bridge volume knob wobbles on the post.

Pros:

Looks and sounds killer.

Body (brown sunburst) is in great shape, the grain on the neck and headstock is beautiful.

Replacement pickgaurd is a sweet vintage cream color.

Knowing it needs work, and there's a chance the neck can't be saved, how much would you be willing to shell out to take on the project?

jamro217 likes this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's not exactly rare is it? There are thousands or identical basses out there that don't need that much work.

MCF, Inky13 and jamro217 like this.
  3. BruceNH

BruceNH

Dec 9, 2018
    But with what price tag?

Until I hit that PowerBall ticket, my funds are limited.

Yes, I could grab a new Squier VM PJ bass for $300 all day long. At what price would you take a chance on the 20 year-old project bass as described above?

4. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Refresh my memory, is the standard on par with the Affinity, VM, or CV?

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Twenty year old Squiers? How much does he want for this one? I totally understand having limited funds. Does he want ten bucks for it? Otherwise there are plenty of fully functional Squiers for under $100.

MCF and jamro217 like this.
  6. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    There were old Squiers that were very high quality, but I don’t remember when that era was.
    I’m thinking it was mid to late 90’s, Pro Tone for instance.

7. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    There's too many cheap Squiers around to consider one with neck issues IMO. Unless it's practically given away of course. Can you even get a good impression of the fretwork and how it will perform with an acceptable action if the neck is that bowed? The rest of the cons wouldn't worry me but a neck/truss rod issue in a cheap instrument, no thanks! There's no guarantee it will be stable in the long term even if you manage to straighten it.

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The only old Squier I'd consider putting money or time into would be an MIJ. All the other Asian made ones aren't worth the trouble. There are too many of them.

MCF likes this.
  9. BruceNH

BruceNH

Dec 9, 2018
    He went as low as $90. I passed.

jd56hawk, Engle, MCF and 1 other person like this.
  10. You'd be better off building a mutt.

11. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Japanese JV series.

12. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Gilbert, AZ
    Sorry I'm late to the dance...

The majority of Standards will be on par quality-wise with both the CV's and the VM's, no problem. Plus you'd have the 20 year settling of the wood to enhance that even more. With parts changed and the neck in question, you probably made the right move. Though the Standard necks on those basses can be great, with this one being tight and possibly un-fixable, the most I might have offered was $50. The most I've ever paid for one from CL was $125, and that was in like-new condition. Most of the basses from this series are great basses, but even so they just don't garner much. I see Standards on eBay going for ridiculous prices, best of to those sellers, I'll stick with locals on CL.

13. BruceNH

BruceNH

Dec 9, 2018
    Been in touch with the seller. He was able to get the neck straight(er). Going to have a look at it today (bringing Mr. Feeler Gauge with me). Gonna need new strings. The strings on it now have about 1/4 turn each on the posts (derp). These shipped from the factory with 045-100's on 'em.

If the neck checks out, I'll offer him $100 for it.

14. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Gilbert, AZ
    You are correct, sir. In fact, they came with Fender Super 7250ML strings in that gauge.

Also, if you need some info on these basses, check out my site, Squier Standard Series P-Bass Special

15. BruceNH

BruceNH

Dec 9, 2018
    The one I'm looking at has a 1998 serial number (IC98124386). Were the 98's rolled out in 1999 (the year this model was introduced)?

16. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Gilbert, AZ
    Likely an EARLY production model for that first year ('99). Get us a look at it if you can.

17. BruceNH

BruceNH

Dec 9, 2018
    Neck says IC NOV 98, neck pocket stamped IC DEC 98