1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Tele Bass Turned Into Nashville Power Tele!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    This baby began life as your standard run of the mill Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass TB with the basswood body, all maple neck and deliciously bootyful TEB-101B humbucker. Then I got to thinking... I don't really need a mudblowing beast of blues busting burden, I need a pimped out instrument of pure rock fury with the capability to blow our eardrums with its furious midrange sqwonk and so on and so forth. Hence... another pickup. And another for good measure. So I now have approximately, stick with me on this one boys and girls, not one, no, not two, no certainly not, but three TEB-101B humbuckers. It's an orgasmic menage e trois of mudblowing vibrations.

And that's not all! To properly orchestrate the tyranny of titanic... ummm, can't think of another T word so I'll just say I put a 5 way Stratocaster style pickup switch in there and swapped out the tone pot for a push/pull so that when the switch is on the middle pickup and I pull up on the tone knob I get all three pickups. It is simply massive with just a hint of bite.

All the work was done by Mark at Libertyville Music in Libertyville, IL. The man is magic, I swear to God. He took this thing in, routed the bejeebus out of the body, in a particularly tasteful and nicely shapen way, and installed the pickups, the switch and swapped the pots for CTS pots and other assorted items. Still to do is a thumb rest, swap the Squier decal for a Fender one and who knows what else will strike me.

So, without further ado, the only pics I have of the beast are after the first round of mods (more to come once the tech sends me the in progress pics tomorrow). Enjoy.

IMG_1080.
    IMG_1081.
    IMG_1082.
    IMG_1085.
    IMG_1086.
    IMG_1087.

Dark Horse and JPBourdier like this.
  2. Planning to put a new bridge on it?

3. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Nice!!!

4. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    I'm dying for soundclips of this beast.

A new bridge wouldn't hurt, but it's up to you.

5. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Yeah, a new bridge is in the works at some point. Not sure what to go with but it won't likely be anything vintage looking. I kind of dig the aesthetic of the old barrel brass bridge but it definitely irks me that I can't set the action and intonation of each string individually. Maybe a Gotoh or Schaller, possibly a BadAss. Depends on what I have the scratch for when the time comes. This is definitely going to be a project that takes some time.

Thus far I can say it sounds very thick and powerful. Even the bridge pickup really doesn't get thin at all. It's a much better sound than I would've expected. I went into this thinking it'd be a fun mod and I'd have something not everyone else had but it's come off great and really has a unique sound. The pickups are much better sounding than I thought they'd be.

6. Very nice! Me likey

7. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    One more question: Does it sound like a Stingray?

8. Bassfrenzy

Bassfrenzy

Oct 23, 2009
    A BadAss would be, well, bad ass.

9. WOW, that looks sweet!

10. TheGrizz

TheGrizz

Nov 19, 2007
    Athol, MA
    Sponsored Artist: Free Idea Clothing
    You ,sir, are a sick man! I love this bass!

11. are you going to get pickup rings or a special pickguard to cover the routes? That thing looks like a beast.

12. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I can't say with any certainty what exactly it sounds like yet as I haven't been able to plug it into a real rig. Mine is disassembled and I don't have band practice until Wednesday.

I can say this... the pickups aren't designed to be anywhere but the neck position so the poles don't line up perfectly with the strings so the G string is a bit weak on the bridge pickup but that's the only issue I've come across. I'll play it some more tomorrow but first impressions are that the middle pickup is very P-bass like but minus the hollow-ness of a P pickup. More full bodied.

The bridge pickup is pretty aggressive sounding and I'm really digging it. I like the sound of all three pickups at once as well as the middle and bridge together. Using the middle pickup with the bridge pup helps with the weak G string. I'm thinking switching to BEAD tuning might rectify this to some degree... anyone have any thoughts on that?

13. You should have had the push-pull switch wired as a "neck PU always on" switch.

When engaged, this would basically make the 5-way switch work the same, except that the neck PU is always on. So when in the normal middle+bridge position, it would give you all three pickups like you can do now with your modification, and in the bridge position, it would give you neck+bridge. One additional and beautiful tone option!!

AltGrendel likes this.
  14. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Yeah, I was thinking about that too. The open routes are not super perty to look at. Then again, it's kind of cool in a "hey, how does that work?" kind of way. I don't know honestly. I really might leave those alone. I really want to get a bridge I can adjust the string spacing on so I can fix the issue with the bridge pup. I'll sacrifice the neck pup's sound for a better bridge tone since that's the setting I'll likely use most. It really is a much better bass than I would have ever expected. Too bad Fender doesn't offer bridge and neck versions of that pickup for sale....

15. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hmmm... that is good thinking! I'm not sure it makes a huge difference honestly based on how it sounds with all three pickups on and the 2 and 4 settings. No matter what it's thick and powerful so the neck/bridge likely wouldn't be too different from the triple bucker setting. But who knows, maybe I can make that happen at a later time. I'll keep it on the back burner.

16. Attack Sunfish

Attack Sunfish

Apr 3, 2010
    I like it a lot. Nice work.

17. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Very cool, I dig it! I see you're in Chicago, I would love to give this bass a spin sometime. I'll make sure to PM you when we cook up another GTG (either at Lakland or elsewhere).

18. Greg, you always get to play with the fun toys.

19. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    It's true, Payton, I'm spoiled rotten that way. That's why I probably have more basses than I know what to do with now--and constant GAS, too!:bawl:

20. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    You, my friend, have a deal. Toys are only fun if you can share them with others and make them insanely jealous or mildly envious, if only for a moment. Maybe by the time we have a GTG it'll be finished. I'm thinking the decal, bridge and maybe some pickup rings or something like that should just about complete the project.