1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Tele Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassicsax, Sep 11, 2008.

1. bassicsax

bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    So does anybody have any opinions on the squier vintage modified tele bass? Its looks really cool and while Im skeptical of squier, I have heard really good things about the vintage modified fretless jazz bass.

2. bwsailer79

bwsailer79

Aug 5, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    I like mine. The pick guard is kind of cheap, but other than that... I don't see any faults in the construction. Whether you like the tone will be subjective, but I like the sounds I can get out of this thing.

I would describe playing my squier vm tb as "fun".

3. Gramtron

Gramtron

Mar 11, 2007
    Loveland,CO
    Pics?

4. bassicsax

bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    [​IMG]

5. Looks like a great candidate for a Darkstar pickup!

6. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I had one, and kind of liked it but the tone does take some getting used to - very bottom-endy. I ended up getting rid of it. Just wasn't for me. That said, if you like a dark, and solid low end then this is just the bass for that.

7. bassicsax

bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    what did you think of the overall quality of the bass?

8. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Wow, there are so many threads already started about this....

9. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

Pros:
    The bass looks cool. Nice layout, ergonomically speaking. Light weight. Nice finish. Nice neck. Plays decent. Good for a Darkstar project. Price.

Cons:
    The Fenderbucker pickup SUCKS!
    Quality control is not great.

If you get a new one, and you can check it out closely first, the quality control may not be an issue.

Some have seemed to not had a problem with the pickup, but there are SEVERAL here that have had the same issues I will describe.

The pickup is wound WAY too hot. So hot that it distorts.
    I have no idea why Fender would issue something like this.
    I sometimes use distortion (light OD), so it's not that I don't like distortion. It just sounds raggedy. The tone also seems to be mid scooped. It gets lost in the mix fast. I play through a Carvin B1500 and 3 Acme B2 cabs. I bump the mids slightly. Also the pickup placement gives it a weird "harmonicy", chorusy kind of sound. You may not notice it at first... it took me awhile to put my finger on it. I've heard it speculated here that maybe it's because the pickup is the same distance from the bridge as the 5th fret is from the nut. A nodal point? Beats me.

Apparently some like the tone of it, so YMMV of course.

I like the bass enough that I WILL get it right, even if I have to route the body.

Here are a couple of threads you may find enlightening.

I have some pictures of the pickup here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398258

More pics, this time of the nut:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455133&highlight=thangfish

Last but not least, my bass as it exists now, with Darkstar pickup and Varitone 6 position switch from Has-Sound:

IMG_2279280x600.

Hey, you can't deny it looks cool!

The above is my considered opinion from my honest experiences... flame on!

BTW: I don't consider the sound to be especially dark either... even with the original pup.

10. Very cool. I just picked up the Squier Telebass about 2 weeks ago. I tried it though an number of amps in the store and my faves were a used Ampeg B200R (very warm and tubey) and a Traynor YBA200-2. Also tried it through a Traynor DynaBass 100 combo and that sucked, I must say. I'm still scoping out the right amp for this bass...stay tuned.

How does it sound with the Darkstar? And what advantages did the Varitone give you?

11. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I've played two of these. The sound is realy deep and low and thick, but not very nuanced. Meaning even fiddling with different amps I couldn't get many different tones out of it (guess I shouldn't have expected to.)

I thought the pup lacked clarity and definition...little too muddy for me, though I could see it having its uses.

Overall, I think the Squier VMs I've played were good instruments. I played 3 different VM Js and they sounded great.

My main beef with the VMs is the necks. I just don't care for them. They felt like mushy balsa wood to me. Just IMO. Not my thing. Also, one of the VM J's I played had a neck that just kept twisting and twisting with no way to relieve it. The shop it was at finally had to send it back. Probably a fluke, but that coupled with the fact that I don't like the feel or shape of those necks has kept me away from them.

12. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    Although I've never played the VM telebass ,I OWN the vm Fretless and its a very solid bass. I heard nothing but great things about the entire line of VM basses. Some of the higher end Squiers are really nice nowadays.

13. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Played both the VM and the newer Classic Vibe. If you need the Muddy sound and a not so great neck - VM.

The Classic Vibe seems to be of better quality and plays and sounds wonderful. I would be happy to gig with one. Take a look before you spring for the VM, think you will be very pleasantly surprised.

14. DopplerShift

DopplerShift

Apr 19, 2005
    Chicago Area
    The stock Squier Tele Bass sounds awesome through an SVT-CL. It's the only amp I've tried it through, and admittedly I had to dial down the lows a lot, but It sounded GREAT.

15. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Of all of Leo Fenders designs, this is my least favorite.

In the seventies, the Fender version of this bass sucked, dark lifeless tone, hard edged body, muddy. I can not really remember anyone really owning one of these things.

What would make a squire version of this any better than Fenders failed attempt?

I am sure a dark star would help. I would move it 3 inches towards the bridge.

Get a Vintage modified Jazz or P bass, they sound good. Play a bunch. Some are quite good, many are unplayable.

16. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    Dbassmon, the mighty reggae bassist val douglas played a late 60s/early 70s tele bass and i wouldn't deny his awesome tone.

i played the squier reissue a while ago through one of those crappy imported ampegs. it was a total one-trick pony, but i sure did like that trick. flatwounds would probably improve it a lot.

17. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Somone should do the coil split thing on one of those.

18. Thangfish

That may be the best fix. I think that would be just far enough that an uncut pickguard would cover the existing route.

19. Thangfish

Don't know why I didn't think to try that. It IS a four wire pickup.

20. I've gigged mine a few times. I finally found the best way to get a clean tone. Turn the amp up a little more than usual and set the volume on the bass at just below halfway. Great sound, no distortion. And the unusual neck is the best thing I've ever felt. I don't know what they call that shape but it works for me.