1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Truss Rod Nut Removal

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by NukeBass, Oct 8, 2010.

1. NukeBass

NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    My friend has a Fender Squier Jazz Bass (bought used sometime ago) that has reached the end of the truss rod nut travel and I was wanting to try the washer trick to give it more adjustment. I fully loosened the nut but I couldn't get it to come out of the cavity. The nut seems too large to come out. I did a search and all the posts make it sound like it should come out easily. Do I need to drill out the cavity to give it more room?

This is a Korean made Squier, but I'm not sure of its exact year. It does have a Fender 50th anniversary sticker on the back so that may put it at... 1996? I don't know if that makes a difference with the design of the truss rod nut cavity.

2. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    The lost Sierra
    stewart macdonald has a wood reamer for enlarging the hole size. Don't know if that's what you need.

3. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    If its completely loose, try sliding some kind of magnetic tool in the hole and see if the nut comes out.

It may just be hung up on something small.

4. NukeBass

NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    It looks like it needs drilling. Something about Fender putting in a plug at the end after the truss rod nut is installed. Seems counter intuitive to me to make it impossible to get out without some destructive work, but I guess for a low end guitar, they figure most people won't care. :)