1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jimstyx, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    I have the squier p affinity and it has split p bas pickups and a jazz pick up
    I'm wondering where to start looking for options on what to upgrade to
    Any ideas or suggestions?
    Anything I need to know spec wise before I look?

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Affinity says to me you are possibly a beginner. Is that the case? If yes, no sense in dumping cash into an otherwise functional student level instrument. Instead, put the money away for an upgrade to a new bass down the road a bit once you are sure you’re going to stick with it. ‘Cause sure as gum, you’ll want a new bass.

If that isn't you, ignore it and know that pickups are subjective and you may not end up with that much difference in.... anything. You'll get all kinds of suggestions here. Fact is there are tons of choices and tons of opinions. It’s a crapshoot to take someone’s opinion.

String selection plays a bigger role in tone than anything IMO.

Specs: A P pickup is pretty standard sized. J pickups are in two lengths 3.6” for the neck and 3.7 for the bridge position. Note that Squiers PJ often have neck size J pickups in the J spot. Measure the J you have.

3. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    I'm a lifelong drummer who had to switch to a string instrument and bass seemed the obviously rhythm choice
    So when I lost my drums ( robbed) my family chipped in and bought me a bass knowing I was searching for one anyway
    This bass has sentimental value for me and I know it's not the best but in determined to stick with it because of that and I'd rather upgrade the pups than put it aside for a new one you know?
    I'm also a jack white fan ( understatement) and we both grew up poor, he has a great philosophy of " become good with a bad instrument it will really show you oh you are"
    The guy took a 100$ airline and made beautiful music (opinion)
    And he had to stomp I the pups just to get them to work ! Lol
    He eventually upgraded the pups
    Which is why I'm investigating for myself. So yes I understand the just buy a better bass thing
    Id like to keep this one

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Well then, I recommend Wilde P46 and Wilde J45. Good price, superior built designed by the godfather of replacement pickups Bill Lawrence. Bad reviews don't exist.

Grounded mags. Epoxy potted. True boutique. Truly unique design at $70 shipped for the P46.

LoveJackBruce, MCF, selowitch and 2 others like this.
  5. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    Thanks for understanding
    I appreciate it I was thinking Seymour 1/4 pounders but outside that I was clueless I just want options my friend and this is a big help
    God I love TB

6. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    Good pickups will cost you more than the Squier P-Bass Special.
    Aguilar has an awesome split P-bass pickup and bridge Jazz pickup combo for $186+tax.
    I bought my Squier P-Bass special for $90 on craigslist.
    Do the math. As noted in other threads, do what makes you happy but a plain old Squier is still worth around $100, no matter how many upgrades you do....give or take $25.

7. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    I'm not trying to keep any sale value I'll never sell this bass I don't care about what my bass is worth you know it's all about what I value it as lol
    Yes it's a starter bass and yes there are better basses out there but sentimental value is huge with me I just want to make this bass better for me

el_Bajo_Verde, Duder and PawleeP like this.
  8. badRocks

badRocks

Jun 11, 2018
    Longs, SC
    I understand your desire to keep the girl you brought to the dance. I'm not going to try and dissuade you from upgrading what could be a fine instrument. I just finished doing an upgrade of an Affinity PJ. All that's left of it is the body and bridge. It now has a Warmoth roasted maple neck, Hipshot tuners, LaBella flats, and EMG Geezer Butler pickups (which was what you were originally asking about). The EMG pickups dropped right into the Squire body (one opening was sanded just slightly larger). They have a no solder wiring harness. One thing to consider is that you will most likely need to use the existing 1/4" plug and that will need to be soldered. I now have a fine custom instrument that isn't worth anything on resale but plays like a dream. Good luck!

PWRL, mikeyjm2, GravyGoodness and 2 others like this.
  9. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    ^this this is what I needed to hear!
    I have no issues with my neck ATM I was thinking geezers

GravyGoodness likes this.
  10. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    What do you mean no solder wiring harness? I have never messed with soldering are you saying I won't have to solder anything ?

11. badRocks

badRocks

Jun 11, 2018
    Longs, SC
    Kukulkan61 likes this.
  12. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    Yeah I'm deffinitely going to look into those in a year or so have someone put em on for me though lol

badRocks likes this.
  13. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I would like to suggest you bass string swap than pickups swap.

Actually I perfer the stock 7250 string tone on every fender or Squier bass. So far the great matching bass string with PV63 pup I prefer still the stock 7250.
    But I am Flatwound fans, the PV63 pup sound pretty nice with TiJF344 currently.

If you seriously wanna swap the pup, start with SD SPB1 and Dmarzio Model J bridge pup along with stock string. If you wanna more bit , try stainless steel bass string.

Hope help.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Session1969 likes this.
  14. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    East Coast
    squires rule!

15. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    Yes they do for the price. I have 4.
    In the olden days they did rule but only Kings, Dukes, Knights and Squires were allowed to own a Squier.

16. dnp41

dnp41

May 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    nothing wrong with upgrading a bass that has sentimental value to you. However don't fall for GAS. You should only change what you don't like. I can honestly admit that every now and then I browse the music store sites just looking for things to buy so my bass will be better.. a new bridge? a new nut? Tuners? off course... new strap screws.. It won't make that much impact, if any at all.

But if there is something you don't like the guys above have given already some good pointers like pickups and strings (fairly cheap and with a noticeable impact in sound).

Otherwise I could also recommend a professional set up. Of course it's impossible to tell how well it's been set up now (at least for me), but a pro could probably improve the play-ability a bit by a good setup that shouldn't cost you too much.

17. badRocks

badRocks

Jun 11, 2018
    Longs, SC
    • I was just thinking about writing something similar. Squiers are hit snd miss in the quality department. Mine had a horrible neck and the electronic s are generally cheap. I think you posted issues in another thread with your neck. My issues were similar. That's why I decided to replace it. Decide what you want to replace and follow the classifieds here. Many people part out their basses and you can get your upgrades done cheaper. Get it the way you want it and play the heck out of it. Oh btw... You will want more basses though. It's a sickness.

18. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    One piece of advice I can offer is don't upgrade the pickups unless you are unhappy with them, I made that mistake with my Squier Jaguar bass, I assumed that Seymour Duncans must be better than stock Squier pickups, big mistake!! I hate the SPB-1 pickup that I swapped to , the Squier pickup sounded much, much better imo

LoveJackBruce, Yahboy and Flooflox like this.
  19. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I can't recommend the EMG-GZR's enough. They are phenomenal pups. I have a set in an Affinity I modded heavily. They seriously make that bass awesome. That has become one of my fav basses to play.

GravyGoodness likes this.
  20. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    I LOVE the SD quarter pound pickups. Have them in my MIM Jazz. So much better over the stock PU ,or the '74 Fender CS I tried. More output. More growl. More goodness. More everything.

I also replaced the pots and output jack with quality components since the stock ones weren't - to be kind. This was a cheap fix and now the tone actually changes when I turn the pots. go figure.

DR Pure Blues on the Strings if you are curious.

Hey - if anyone wants a set of '74 CS let me know. I will donate to a worthy cause. Just pay for shipping.

Linnin and badRocks like this.