Squier Upgrade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Open E, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Open E

Open E

Nov 23, 2017
    London
    What do you guys think is the best upgrade to make to a Squier Classic Vibe 70s Jazz Bass 2020?

EatS1stBassist, ejuzek and Bassmike62 like this.
  2. blacktocomm

blacktocomm Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    The mountains
    I honestly think the CV basses are pretty great as is. I would try some new strings before any other mods.

3. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Exactly: new strings. That's about it.

4. cratz2

cratz2

Jul 8, 2019
    Indy, IN
    Yep. Strings would be my first change.

I got a great deal on a Classic Vibe 70s Jazzy. Thought it was great as is, but it was a bit heavy and I didn't love the look of the natural finish body so I bought a replacement Shell Pink body.

I moved everything over except I went for a cheaper high mass bridge. I think they sound great with the stock pickups and electronics.

I did throw down some copper shielding tape.

Enjoy it!

5. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Just strings. You chose well.

6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Supporting Member

I'm not familiar with CVs, but I had a couple of VM Jazz basses that upgraded this way. Not that they really needed them, as they were (and still are with their current owners, I'm sure) great basses for the price.

Order is by impact for me and not chronological.

1. Hipshot XTender / Series-parallel pick-up mod / Chrome Flatwounds
    2. Hipshot KickAss Bridge
    3. Molded Fender hardcase

Here's what the VM70s looked like. Still does, sold it to a friend who's using it as is.

Bass - Squier Jazz VM70s.JPG

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    A good set of strings and maybe a few swipes of a green scotch brite pad on the back of the neck.

8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I have a set of Lace Sensor Man O' War pickups collecting dust. They were supposed to go in an Inca Silver Jazz bass I had five years ago, but the bass was too good to mod.
    The CVs aren't quite the same now, are they?
    Sad but true.
    If you're looking for something to make yours special, you might want to find some Fender Super 55s...the pickups that were so good Fender discontinued them.

BlueTalon and TNCreature like this.
  9. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    SoCal
    Mods, to me, serve one of three purposes:
    1. Change an aesthetic
    2. Fix a problem
    3. Cure boredom
    So, my question to you:
    1. Do you like the way it looks? If yes, move to #2. If no, replace what you don’t like and move to #2.
    2. Are there any problems you want/need to resolve? If yes, what’s the problem? Focus on that (i.e. a tuner replacement probably won’t fix a loose volume knob).
    3. If you’re looking to mod for the sake of modding, or just to make it different, what’s your budget and what are your goals? I’m sure talkbass can collectively point you in the direction to making that a $1500 super J if that’s what you wanted to do...

10. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Mesa, AZ
    I have been a Squier user and proponent for a long time, and aside from something easy, like the strings, the first, most noticeable upgrade I always make, regardless of the model, is the tuners. The best stock tuners on a Squier have always been 'meh' in terms of quality.

11. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    I'm with Kirkham. Strings and, if necessary, tuners should do the trick.

In my limited experience, the less expensive Squiers need more work. CVs are generally pretty solid.

12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

None. I left my CV60 JB completely stock except for putting on different strings.

aus_bass and kodiakblair like this.
  13. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    ‘Need’ vs ‘Want’ is, often, the question :smug:

I’m a chronic modder (see dictionary for my pic / bio) :laugh: I mod (not necessarily ‘upgrade’) all my basses (Fenders & Squiers)!

I would, however, suggest that Hipshot tuners are a def upgrade- as Squier tuners, and some Fenders, can be iffy. If drop-ins aren’t available- it’s easy enough to (toothpick) plug & drill.

I also put Fender Amer. Dlx. or Vintage Hi-mass bridges on all my modders (have 2 of each on my curremt stable of 4) - as they have 3-groove saddles... makes for a nice adjustment for string spacing. :thumbsup: These are 3-hole mount - so ya need to ‘plug & drill’ (5/23 dowel I do believe).
    22D6FD94-D24E-4578-89C5-8D7494FE1E0A.jpeg CC4AA381-E8D8-4C7A-8AEB-49B489DDDDBD.png

The 50’s is my only Squier (body), ATM, but have modded quite a few - over the past several years - w/Hipshots & bridges, etc. All 4 of these have Hipshot tuners... my ‘de rigueur‘ :cool:
    8936525C-B605-48FC-BD89-D2BA5E321967.jpeg

boggus, J_Bass, cratz2 and 1 other person like this.
  14. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I did 2 mods to my P5.

New tuners—-made a difference-smoother to tune.

New Nordstrand pickup—- I love Norstrands, but on this case, I would leave the stock pickup because it sounded fine.

15. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    None. Now keep practicing!

16. greenscharlie

greenscharlie

Jan 2, 2021
    tried a jaguar cv the other day, think the pots are rubbish

17. This, though from personal experience most squiers are fine, even the affinities. That doesn't mean that you CAN'T (or shouldn't, it's your bass, do what makes you happy) improve them, it's just a good bass as is, exceptions excluded.

The correct answer is easy. The bass is garbage because the pickups are both '70s style - which adds up to carry the one and make 2040. This is a 2020 bass, do you need to swap one pickup out with a 1950s Jazz pickup (which is very expensive) or get a pair of '60s ones so that 60+60 puts you into 2020. This gives you even mathematical response from 20hz to 20khz. Hence the 2020.

Or not ;) tbh if you have to ask the internet what's wrong with your bass without being able to play it in person, and you can't describe any symptoms the bass has, it's probably fine.

18. ahbradot

ahbradot

Dec 14, 2019
    Florida
    Billy Joel would sing, I like the bass...... "Just The Way You Are"

19. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    IMHO/IME

p/ups
    electronics (pots and cap)
    strings (your preference)

20. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Input jack, strings, pickups, pots, bridge, tuners, sheilding, fret leveling. In that order. Then knobs to add some custom flare.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021