1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier ( used ) prices on CL?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tobiasfin, May 10, 2017.

1. I have to say that there seems to be a lot used Squire basses on CL, in the Bay area, that are priced way high. for example, someone in the East Bay is asking $750.00 for a '91 MIM Precision, and someone else is asking $500.00 for a 1997 Squire Jazz bass. I don't message anyone with my concerns, specially since I have no intention of purchasing any of these. Last ( and only time ever) that I tried to help someone, the guy was advertising a "Classic 50's " as a Re-issue, and I contacted him to tell him that the tuning keys had been replaced with cheap Squire tuners, and that his bass was "not a re-issue". Instead of a thank you, I got a message saying that I was talking "nonsense".

I would hate for my grandmother to buy this "because I know you like basses" so "I found this on CL"

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    People ask for high prices under the assumption that someone who doesn't know any better might pay. It's not that unreasonable.

3. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    The MIJ/MIK Squiers seem to be going up, at least in asking prices.

4. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Gilbert, AZ
    The MIM and MIJ versions do seem to garner a little more than a modern day Squier, though the prices I see for some do seem to be reaching a bit for what they should be in reality. The MIM are actually more of a cousin to the Squier brand as they are genuinely recognized as Fender with the designation of "Squier series". These were built with higher quality components, so the asking prices will be closer to what a Standard Fender bass would get. The MIJ, in some cases, are of a nicer quality as well, though I don't know that the prices being asked is an accurate reflection of this.

I'm not sure why many sellers ask the higher prices that they do for modern used Squiers. Yes, they are nice instruments, but there are a LOT to pick from in the used market, so they aren't exactly scarce. I am always on the lookout for good deals, and they are out there to be found especially with Squier instruments. Heck, for all we know, some of these sellers may even read these message boards and figure their pricing based on all the good things we have to say about Squiers. The thing is, praise isn't the only factor you can build a price on especially when there are "eleventy-billion" of the brand around looking for a home.

Tobiasfin likes this.
  5. I couldn't have said it better! Thank you, and totally agree. On the other hand, as you said, great deals are to be found, a post that I saw just yesterday for a year 2000 MIM Black Fender Precision with plush gig bag for $200.00 is, of course, gone today. It was from someone in San Francisco, ad lasted 2 days, priced to sell.