1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Vint Mod Jazz: questions to give me **%* about

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassbounce, Apr 28, 2009.

1. bassbounce

bassbounce

Apr 22, 2009
    I can't try these in person since my local shops don't have any and if I order it, I must commit to buying it but I'm on a tight budget and need a bass, preferably Jazz.

Sure, I'd love a Geddy Lee but I don't have the cash right now.

I've read tons of positive reviews on the Vintage Mods and so my question is:
    does it feel as ****** as the Classic Vibe series (felt & looked like plastic to me)?
    is it eons away from a Geddy Lee (ok, give me **** for this question)?

I'll be eBaying it regardless of what I get since my shops are overpriced and I don't want to buy new, and their used are still way overpriced.

Ok, rip me to shreds for asking but I guess I'm desperate for a jazz bass and this may be the only price range I can swing for now, and I'm being a picky about looks too;) Guess you can't ask for everything, eh?

2. bassbounce

bassbounce

Apr 22, 2009
    any specific recommendations? not familiar but heard positive reviews on SX's

3. I don't personally care for them, but a lot of people here do. The necks are a bit thicker than a Fender which is what turned me off of them. For the money though, you can't beat them. And if you're on a tight budget then it's a good place to look. If you get it one and don't like it, you can send it back.

4. nothumb

nothumb

Sep 20, 2006
    NYC
    set up properly, the squier VM series is a good bet. however i would want to buy one after playing it in person because they can be very hit-or-miss, like any low end production bass (including SX). the upside with the VM is the neck has a great feel, the electronics are fairly hot, but you don't get quite the beef and sustain (not suprisingly) you would look for in a jazz bass IME. with an upgraded bridge and a BDDI i think they're pretty interchangeable with a MIM J bass, in fact i like the neck on mine more.

5. bassbounce

bassbounce

Apr 22, 2009
    maybe not the ideal neck for me but sounds like an option, thanks for the feedback...

6. millerfreak

millerfreak

Jun 29, 2008
    the svm fretted jazz has soft maple body, and that is why the sustain is nearly dead. BUT. it is not a big problem if you pair it up with a decent compressor.

ive changed mine with badass bridge, but i aint using any preamp yet (my ebs microbass is coming though)

i know its a squier and will never be a fender, but its ****** good and stands out on its own league.

check out youtube.com/terrykumar for videos of it.

7. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    I must have been lucky with my Squier VM Fretless. It has a great feel and the neck is not noticeably different from MIM Js I've played.

My only problem with it is the bent tin bridge, but that's no different than most Fenders (unless they have BadAss IIs or the American Standard HMVs). I make a point of swapping the bridge as soon as I get a Fender, but otherwise, I swear by them!

I'd definitely recommend the VMs

8. millerfreak

millerfreak

Jun 29, 2008
    True. I've tried the squier vm fretless as well. aint bad.

i know how fender 62 RI jpn fretless sounds, oh well but for less than 300$ you cant really complain. The only thing that annoys me is to know that the fretboard is plastic and not wood. thats it. but to hear the sound without looking at it, you cant lie to yourself.