Squier vintage modified 70's or Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by woodywyatt, Jan 12, 2015.

1. woodywyatt

woodywyatt

Jan 12, 2015
    I’ve recently purchased a Squier vintage modified 70's as a back up bass, my main bass is a Rickenbacker 4003. I have been so surprised with how good the Squier VM 70's plays and sounds I’m now even considering selling on the Ric and buying an original Fender.
    However, would it be worth the spend? Apart from wood quality is there really that much difference? If so, which model would sound like (and hopefully better) than the Squier vintage modified 70’s? Theres so many Fender Jazz models no idea where to start!!

2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    You like the Squire VM because they're really good. I like my Matt Freeman a lot better than the MIM P-Bass I played at GC just yesterday. I'm not telling you to keep the RIC, but I wouldn't sell it for another jazz bass because you already have a real jazz bass. RIC owners usually have sellers remorse though...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    Micah D likes this.
  3. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    It depends on how much you value versatility....the Fender is gonna do exactly what the Squier does, but better...one thing it's not gonna do is sound like a Ric.....

The Chuck likes this.
  4. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    I own a 2012 American Stnd Jazz. I also just picked up a VM Squier (non 70s) two weeks ago. My intent was to use it as a knock-around the house kind of a thing, or something to travel with while leaving the "good stuff" home. When I picked up the VM at the store I was immediately struck with how good it felt in my hands. I inspected it carefully and I could find nothing wrong with it. I plugged it in and was very surprised at how good it sounded. I looked at the price at and was shocked. I was out the door for under 270.00 US.

So to get to your question, My American Stnd is noticeably more solid and better sounding, but not by $900 worth. It's a tough call.

5. woodywyatt

woodywyatt

Jan 12, 2015
    Thanks for the replies so far
    Yeah, I suppose that would be my only fear, selling on the Ric and regretting it! But I do feel the Squier is much easier to play and more versatile, I even feel guilty saying that (sorry Rickenbacker!).
    Would love to hear from someone who actually owns both Fender Jazz and Squier VM 70's Jazz and see if there's a difference. Doesn't seem to be much on YouTube in the way of comparisons

6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    It's a different neck profile than a RIC so if it fits, no reason to feel guilty. I have a 76 RIC 4001 that's more like my thinner Carvin than it is like my P-Bass. It's cool going back and forth between basses. Yeah I wouldn't buy another Jazz bass, especially since you'll have to move up to a MIA jazz to get a better Fender Jazz, IMO. The VM's and the CV's are good at the important stuff (sound and playability). Since they've added a high-mass bridge, it's an easy pick over the MIM's.

7. I'm looking at picking up a Squier Vintage modified jazz - hopefully this weekend. I tried out the Squier and Fender Jazz last weekend into the same amp with same settings and both play good, and for the difference in sound like "The Chuck " says not enough difference to justify the price imo

8. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    You can pick up a set of CS60 pick ups and drop them into the VM.

9. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    My advice to the OP is to keep the Rick, and love the VM 70s Jazz for what it is! There is no rule that states that you must have only ONE bass in your quiver. The tonal difference between the two would be enough for me to keep both.

One of my first basses was a 2011 Fender AVRI '75 Jazz Bass. I bought it online, based on the pictures, from a reputable West Coast bass specialty store. It arrived in 99.99 perfect, mint, unplayed condition. As a brand new player, I was immediately intimidated by the mere thought of putting the first ding or dent in this immaculate instrument. Eventually, I found myself taking it out of the case less and less, and my practice time suffered because of my neurotic fear of damaging it.

I sold it to a grateful professional musician who I'm sure is putting it to good use. I used some of the proceeds to acquire a Squier VM 70s which outside of the body wood, is a pretty close match to my now-gone '75 AVRI. I was blown away by how great it sounds, and have now made a few upgrades. I can't see myself actually NEEDING another Jazz bass, because this well-made and versatile instrument does everything I need it to do.

But I do love other designs, and pickup layouts, and body shapes. So....rather than have ONE expensive MIA Fender, I have now acquired several Squier VM and Classic Vibe series, so that I can enjoy many of the original Fender bass designs. I can enjoy pulling down a '51 Precision, a Precision (amber), a Telecaster, Telecaster Special and a Cabronita as the mood strikes me. Most of these were acquired on deep discount, and I doubt that my total investment is more than the current price of an AVRI Fender '75 Jazz.

That's what worked for ME. IME, IMHO, YMMV, etc. Good luck with your decision.

10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Keep the Ric and the Squier Jazz. Big jumps in money buying a Fender Jazz will yield only incremental improvements in sound over the Squier IMO. The Ric will only increase in value over time, and nothing else really sounds like it. If you are gassing for better gear, spend it on amps and cabs.

11. I had a 70s VM jazz, and I have a 4003.

I liked the Jazz a lot but they have a slim taper neck that felt a little small to me and I'm not nuts about the maple fretboard.

I didn't see a Fender that had what I wanted (swamp ash, rosewood) for a price I could afford so I did a Warmoth build. I did see the FSR for $499 but decided a warmoth would be better. When I got the warmoth neck I realized the VM had a slim taper neck as the warmoth doesn't and this one feels a lot better.

So make sure to check out either the bass you buy or the same model because the neck shapes vary and some will feel more comfortable in particular with Ric playing background.

Oh and of course I regret selling the VM. I could have put flats on it.

12. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    First thing I did with my VM was put flats on it!

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021