1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz - Pick up question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by themacinator, May 19, 2011.

1. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig

Oct 8, 2009
    8,600 feet in the Colorado Rockies
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    Got a chance to score a 2008 version of one of these. My curiosity is in the "Duncan Designed" pickups. Are these Seymour Duncan pups or just something they got permission to slap a name on them?

2. No matter what they say - they are super HOT!

3. docalex

docalex

Aug 15, 2009
    NYC
    (EDIT: Whoops, sorry to revived this long dead thread - didn't notice the date. Still, perhaps useful for the next person considering one of these bass guitars. - signed, Forum newb)

Hello - I bought a Squire 'Vintage Modified '70 Jazz fret-less early 2009. I believe the only choice was star-burst without pick-guard, which looks great, imo. Mine was made in Indonesia. The pick-ups say "Duncan Designed" - that's all I can tell you. But, agreeing with SurferJoe46's post, the tone of that particular bass, even with the 'Designed' pickups, is just beauty... my teacher and a band-mate have both commented. Also, the sustain is remarkable.

I read a review where someone took apart the pickups from a 2009 Indonesian model - it seemed to that person that it was in fact a US made Duncan, or at least seemed well and carefully made [[ on this page of reviews, I think: Basses: Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz Bass by Squier | Harmony Central ]]

The fit and finish of the instrument on purchase was good, *except* they came with Fender steel round-wounds... these will chew up that lovely ebonol fretboard surface pretty fast; at least I started to notice right away. Strongly urge replacing with flat wounds before ever playing a newly-bought ebonol fingerboard (unless you have a very light touch,) and if getting a used one, you'll want close up pictures of the fretboard without strings to make sure it hasn't been damaged. (There are reviews in that same link where people use roundwounds and think it sounds great and mention no damage; I replaced with flats after playing it for less than an hour. Everyones mileage varies, I guess. :)

Otherwise, go for it! Just go through your setup process so it all feels like you like it (go ahead, straighten the neck... those strings can go low -smile-) and the intonation correct. My experience that once setup and broken in, the Squire Vintage '70's Modified fretless circa 2009 holds tune very well. [[ Just the set up guide I use - http://bassplaying.com/diy-bass-setup-guide ]]

I love this slinky fretless bass; beyond my wildest dreams a better instrument than I expected for the price.

Just my experience. Best of luck to you.

..alex...
    (first time poster... I think -smile-)

4. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig

Oct 8, 2009
    8,600 feet in the Colorado Rockies
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    Thanks for the advice. I pulled the trigger on it for $169 used in excellent.