1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass-$299 or $199

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Barely Oakley, May 15, 2011.

1. Barely Oakley

Barely Oakley Banned

May 10, 2011
    What is the difference between them? Is the $299 much better? I see one has 3 control knobs and the other has two stacked knobs, but I don't see any other difference.
    Buy Squier by Fender Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass | 4 String Electric Bass | Musician's Friend
    Rosewood fretboard
    Colors: Black
    Body: Agathis
    Finish: Polyester
    Body Shape: Jaguar
    Series: Vintage Modified Guitars
    Finger Board Radius: 9-1/2"
    Scale Length: 34"
    Nut Width: 1-1/2"
    Hardware: Chrome
    Tuning Keys: Standard Open-Gear Tuners
    Bridge: Standard 4-Saddle
    Pickguard: 3-Ply Tortoise Shell/White/Black
    Controls: Stacked Concentric Controls Volume 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 1.
    (Neck Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Tone 2. (Bridge Pickup)
    Bass strings: Super 7250M, NPS (.045-.105 Gauges)
    Unique Features: White Pearloid Block Position Inlays, Painted Headcap, Knurled
    Chrome/Black Concentric Control Knobs, Duncan Designed Pickups
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...aguar-Electric-Bass-Guitar-Special?sku=H71306
    Basswood body on 3-Tone Sunburst and Crimson Red models
    Agathis body on Black model
    Slim, fast-action, C-shape maple neck
    Rosewood fretboard
    Precision Bass and Jazz Bass pickups
    Active Bass Boost circuit
    Chrome hardware

2. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    I was looking at the same thing. Two things jump out: body wood Agathus (I had to look that up, a varient of mahogany) or basswood. The blocked FB is another clue but I can imagine at this price point, they are stickers rather than real inlays.

I see body's already up on the 'bay. Anyone know how come these new releases are parted out already? Are these seconds or warranty returns????

3. JakeDPR

JakeDPR

May 5, 2011
    Western MA
    I was going to ask this same question, I hope some one here can explain the difference!

4. jloftin1

jloftin1

Aug 7, 2009
    Carrollton, Ga
    The one for 299.99 is the long scale version with stacked volume/tone. The one for 199.99 is short scale with v/v/t setup and does not appear to have the blocks.

5. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    The $199.99 version is also 34" scale. The blocks are the only obvious difference I can find. I'm wondering if there's a difference in the electronics some how.

6. DanHibiki

DanHibiki

Apr 16, 2008
    The main difference seems to be the pickups (Duncan Designed on the $300 one) and active/passive ($200 = active, $300 = passive).

There is a difference in the woods used too and styling differences (blocks and matching headstock on the $300 one), as already mentioned.

Both are long scale, the short scale one is cheaper ($170 or something like that).

7. That is incorrect. The blocks on the Squier VM Jazz bass are real inlays. They are not stickers.

8. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Can't wait to try the short-scale model. If it's comfortable to play I will probably snag one.

9. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

+1...they are real inlays

10. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I played the $199 one at guitar center, It sounded better than some other basses that were 5 times more expensive.

Flad likes this.
  11. First, a correction. I meant to type "Jag", not "Jazz", although both the VM Jag and Jazz do have real block inlays.

If you read the specs again, you'll see that the body of the black model of the Jag Special is agathis, while the other two colors are basswood. I don't think the price difference is in the body wood alone.

It appears to me - and this is just a guess - that the new Jag models, even though they are branded "Vintage Modified", may be more in line with the Affinity series, with less expensive hardware and electronics. As already mentioned, the original VM Jag has Duncan Designed pickups and stacked knobs, whereas the new models do not.

The lower price may also have to do with the country of manufacture. I haven't seen any of the new Jags, so I'm not sure where they were made, though I'm assuming they are from the Indonesian factory.

Then again, given the economy, Fender(Squier) may have decided that $199 was a price point they could live with, and still move some product. Or perhaps they wanted a some "entry level" Jags to go with the Affinity P and J, both of which are priced at the same $199.

Again, just guesses for now.

12. DanHibiki

DanHibiki

Apr 16, 2008
    It must be noticed also that the bridge pickup on the "regular" Jaguar has ceramic magnets, the Special is not specified so I would guess they are typical AlNiCo V...

It is interesting too that the naming scheme kind of follows the one that Fender has adopted right now with the American Special series, where Special means a cheaper version of the "Standard" bass...

13. JDJen

JDJen

Mar 18, 2010
    Actually Agathis is a member of the evergreen family not mahogany, and not as nice of a grain to look at for transparent finishes.

The $299 version has Duncan Design PUs in them, stacked knobs with tone boost/cut, painted headstock, block inlays.

The $199 version has 2 vol. Boost and Master Tone controls, and none of the other stuff.

I want to know how the $199 version sounds though.

14. They are real inlays.

15. Good point. I totally missed that.

16. I have owned both and the $199 one definitely felt cheaper. The wood was noticeably soft (I took the pickguard off to remove the plastic film on it and the screws practically fell out) and the neck dive was insane. As far as I know it is a passive bass with an active bass boost. I agree that it didn't seem on par with other Vintage Modified basses.

The $299 one is actually a really cool bass. The blocks are real as far as I can tell and overall it was superior to the $199 one. Wish I still had it but I moved cross-country and could only fit so much in my car :mad:

17. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Yikes. Loose screws and neck dive. :bag:

18. i really want to try the short scale. bad, way bad. For reasons I am nut sure of.

19. JakeDPR

JakeDPR

May 5, 2011
    Western MA
    Me too! It looks sweet and the 169 price tag is so tempting

20. edmidlifecrisis

edmidlifecrisis Registered mediocre bass player Supporting Member

I saw a bunch of these at GC today. One was 299 with matching color headstock. The others were 199. The 199 ones were a mix of 2 pickup models (a p and a j) and single humbucker at bridge models. The setups were so bad on all of the 199's that it was hard to play them. I thought the necks although nice and satin, were extremely narrow and felt weird. They look cool, though, didn't notice a scale difference.