1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar w/ Humbucker Mod - Add pickup? or Add & replace other

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by guzzler, Jun 1, 2012.

1. guzzler

guzzler

May 19, 2010
    Hello, recently got a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar w/ the Humbucker. I think it has a really cutting through type sound but I am not sure I would be able to use that sound all the time? kind of like soloing a bridge pickup on a jazz bass, where it is different but maybe you don't want that all the time.

I tried cutting and boosting some on the controls but the bass made it want to clip the preamp. mid got kind of maybe honking.

Not sure how the humbucker would be without the preamp? is it a pretty weak pickup without the preamp ? I played an OLP one time and noticed how the pickup reminded me of a stingray but was not the same. It would have been a different pickup but also no preamp in that OLP.

Wondering how much of that pickup sound in the Jaguar or even in a Stingray is from the preamp. I was thinking maybe if the controls on the bass were set flat that should be close to the sound of the pickup if was not hooked to a preamp ? but maybe the preamp still gives an overall color or boost the sound?

I thought of adding a passive P or J pickup in the neck postion. but then I thought of how it would or would not blend sound-wise with the humbucker ?

and how to hook to preamp? but then i thought of not using the preamp. but would that humbucker really sound bad without the preamp ? I was thinking the humbucker without the preamp might sound close to when you have the controls flat? but maybe it still affects the sound.

how much output does the humbucker have either with (if you don't boost frequencies) or without the preamp. what if you put in like a quarter pound jazz or precision pickup in the neck postion, problems ? I know the P-J setup a lot of people like, but I think there are either phase, cancellation or location issues. trying to blend 2 different pickups with 2 different outputs in 2 different locations. also if I remember correctly, I noticed if you have both pickups on max in a P-J configuration the sound seems to lose some bottom from the P pickup. but if you back off the J pickup a little and leave the P on full, the bottom comes back.

I also thought of taking out the humbucker and putting a jazz pickup in the bridge postion but it would be longer than the route (I guess I could lengthen the route though) and would have extra hole around the sides.

then I thought people would say just play a jazz bass. so then i thought maybe try to leave in the humbucker and add either a J or P pickup in the neck position. maybe would sound fuller or a little rounder. just wasn't sure if they would work together.

also thought of adding another humbucker. but that might be like an Ibanez SRX. I had a SRX505, thought it played well and had good sounds but I never seemed to be able to dial it in for what i needed.

maybe I am just so used to hearing passive jazz or precision bass. i feel like when the sound goes to a preamp, it is like a filter/eq that takes you farther from flat and you need to really be able to dial it like a frequency master, in order to benefit from that.

2. guzzler

guzzler

May 19, 2010
    anybody have any input on this ? thank you