1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz neck profile

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bound'n'blocked, Apr 29, 2010.

1. I have a bass with a VM jazz neck on it, and love the feel of the neck. I put a maple blocked jazz neck (Allparts) on another bass of mine, but it seems to be much thicker. I'm sure this is neck radius, but since I dont know the difference between one neck radius and the other, I was wondering if someone could suggest an aftermarket neck profile that is a similar radius to a VM jazz.

Thanx

BnB

2. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    The SMV neck profile is very similar to the Geddy Jazz. I'm not sure of aftermarket makers that have the wide flat profile. Might want to call Warmoth and see if they've got something.

I've considered putting the neck from my SMV on other Jazzes because I like it so much.

3. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    theres no way u can have that slim profile unless u get...same neck, geddy lee jazz...have a luthier whittle at the wood to make it slimmer.

4. At the website where I ordered the Allparts neck, the regular one (I got a bound/blocked one) with dots has a 10 inch radius. The Fender site says a Geddy Jazz is a 9.5 inch radius. Is a VMJ the same or similar as a Geddy Jazz? I've never played a Ged before so dont really know how they compare.

Short of finding someone who has one for sale, can you by a VMJ neck without buying the whole bass? (dont hit me too hard for asking that one!) Warmoth has blocked necks at a reasonable price with a 10 inch radius but I dont want to go that route if the radius is the same as the Allparts neck.

BnB

BnB

5. Found the answer to one question...the Ged and the VMJ both have the 9.5 inch radius neck. Nothing I've found for aftermarket necks has that profile.

BnB

6. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    i dont think you'd really notice 9.5 vs 10 that much...would you? i mean it's more likely the thickness than the radius.

i bought an allparts unfinished neck and sanded it down myself...finished it in tru-oil (super easy) and it plays fantastic

7. i have played both the necks i find them different quite a bit! the gl feels flatter, thinner and a tad wider where as the vm is chunkier

8. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    I play a Squier VM Jazz, and I believe its the neck thickness not the radius your talking about. I know the Geddy Lee is a thin neck like the VM jazz. The Fretboard radius i believe is the the arc or the fretboard, right? If you google it you can understand that better. The fretboard isn't exactly flat, if you think about it 9.5 inches thats pretty big. Draw a circle with a 9.5" radius and you will end up with the arc of the frets.

The VMJ is very thin, just in general i dont think thats something you will find in the specs, because it doesnt affect the fret thickness, or the radius so its something the designers can just pick. If i were you i would take some measurements and just go hunt.

9. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    +1.

The All Parts bound and block neck I own is also very thick from front to back. Way thicker than the GL and VM I've tried.

10. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    I have a Mighty Mite Jazz coming in, not blocked just rosewood, but they both have a 9.5" radius, i will let you know how that works out.

11. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    The early ones had very thin, flat necks. The current ones have chunkier necks (at least the ones I've tried.)

12. Thanks guys...I think it comes down to the fact that I really dont understand what the term "radius" means in relation to the neck, although after reading some responses it's becoming a little clearer.

In comparing the two necks I have, the VMJ feels flatter on the back, kind of like a ( shape where as the Allparts feels more like a rounder shape, like a ball cut in half or something. It's not really a big deal but I was surprised in the difference when I got the Allparts neck how much meatier it was. I've kind of taken to practicing with the bass with the Allparts on it, and then playing a gig with the VMJ neck, because I seem to play much faster on it. The Allparts is a thing of beauty, VERY well made. I just wish it was a bit thinner. I might just need to measure the VMJ and see what Warmoth can do.

Thanks for the help again...

BnB

13. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Just my $.02 (it might help you).
    I have owned them all and the warmoth well feel closer to the Allparts. I put an Allparts neck on my VMJ and I could not be happier. If you really like that then radius I would look into USA customs.

14. I was just at the Warmoth site and all of their necks say "Standard Thin Contour" and I was wondering how they compare to the Allparts and VMJ. The Allparts isnt uncomfortable, just not as comfy as the VMJ.

I guess everybody likes the VMJ neck, as finding one for sale, even on Ebay is pretty dang hard. There is a pawn shop in town that has one for sale, but the neck looks kinda weird. And for what they want for it a person could almost buy one new!

BnB

15. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Oh man, your getting me worried about my new neck of a project im working on haha

I say just take the neck with you, swap it out of whatever body its in and put it where you want it! I did that so far with a 62' RI Precision im building until i get that rosewood neck im playing my VMJ neck haha LOVE IT, even on a P bass.

16. heinpete

heinpete

Apr 9, 2008
    Hesse, Germany
    however the Geddy Lee is supposed to have a 7.5" radius neck! At least that was the radius of the '70ies Jazz necks with block binding. :smug:

17. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    She's thick! Really man, ppl take off the finishes off the back of their necks all the time. Use a wood scraper (cheese grater looking tool) and take off from the back, then sandpaper it down, its not that hard, dont do too much better yet have a luthier do it. wow this thread closed some months previously..So sorry..INFO purposes only..