Squier Vintage Modified Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boabski2k, Feb 1, 2009.

1. boabski2k

boabski2k

Dec 24, 2008
    Scotland
    Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Any VM Jazz owners, can you give me the lowdown on this bass.

I have a chance to pick one up real cheap.

Any pro's and cons would be great.

2. zeppelinbass95

zeppelinbass95

Dec 26, 2008
    PA
    this thing is great for rock, funk, blues, jazz, and almost anything. It's pickups were pretty good, and look amazing. I put some dimarzio model j's in and I would buy it back for 500$

3. ChiefLongDong

ChiefLongDong

Nov 18, 2008
    I'm in love with mine.

4. LanEvo

LanEvo Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    Here's what I wrote in response to a similar thread a couple of weeks back:
    That's one person's opinion, anyway.

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Well, LanEvo is definitely all for the SX.

I have played a VM Pbass and liked it. I didnt love it, but it could get the job done. I also played the fretless Jazz. It just sounded like a fretted jazz, didnt have that "wahm" characteristic of fretless basses.

I would love to try an SX, and at less than half the price its hard to beat. Buy 2 SX, and sell the one you dont like. OR return it.;)

6. My VM Jazz is fine - it is made of Ash - I did not think any of the Squires were made of Pine. The Pups sound fine to me - there are better pickups for sure - but they do not sound bad IMO & IME.

7. If you're talking about the fretted 70s VM, the body is made of soft maple. I have one, it's a great instrument for the money. I swapped the bridge for a BA II, and it's good to go. The pickups work fine for me, although I wish the pup covers didn't have that cheesy "Duncan Designed" marketing phrase on them.

Roger

8. How hard was is to get the holes drilled to put that BA II on it. I was thinking about doing that to mine.

To the OP. The VM series Jazz bass is an awesome bass. I recommend them highly. I known own two Squiers and a 97 MIM Jazz Bass.

9. NO drilling necessary. Unscrew the five screws holding the original bridge, remove it. Place the BA II bridge on the body, align the five holes, and install the five screws. I'd transfer your saddle placements from the original bridge to get that close, and then do setup to get the relief, string height and intonation correct.

You will see the ground lead from the electronics exposed when you remove the original bridge, just make sure it contacts the BA II when you screw it down (easy).

Roger

10. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    My VMJ must be a freak cause its not noisy, no crappy pots or bad ground or anything like that, the pups scream on this thing, the body is quality ash?, the finish rocks, the neck is suweet and smooth, the bridge looks fine and no issues with it at all. I have had absolutely nothing as far as quality, electronic, or cosmetic issues at all with mine. Im still playing it on the factory set up which is very good, action not as low as Id want but well within good range, factory strings. This beast is just great all around....guess I got an odd one?

11. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I think the Vintage Squire Series is the best deal going, if you are looking for a big bang for the buck. I have been playing bass for 40 years and have played everything.My guitar teacher bought one to my lesson last week, I was blown away.Wondered why I spent over 600.00 for Fender Japanese P re-issues (Sting Signature & The Butterscotch P)
    blue

12. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I have heard and read the "soft maple" description many, many times. However what exactly is soft maple? How does it compare to the maple say Rick uses in their bodies? Is this something along the lines of a marketing way to say Agathis?

I am not complaining, I love my Squier VM Jazz! And would buy another.

And to compare the Squier to my SX Jazz basses, well, they are different in some ways, and a lot alike in others. Two of the biggies for me are the pickups and the necks.

The SX pups are ceramic and are definitely hotter. The Squier pups are Alnico and have a very, I dunno, smooth tone?

The necks are both good. I love the fretboard radius of the Squier and it's satin finish. However the SX's are fine necks as well and feel good, though they are a little more substantial and I have sanded the backs of my SX necks. The SX necks have real inlaid blocks and real binding. Both different, but both good.

Hardware on both is alright, but I do give the nod to the Squier. And while the SX bridges work well, I do swap them. I had a screw strip the threads in one of the bridge saddles, and their tolerances between the threaded hole and screw size seem a wee bit sloppy to me.

Squiers seem to have a better level of QC than the SX. But nothing that will matter from 5 feet away.

The SX get the nod in terms of pricing. Both basses are great value for the money, but if I intend to mod a bass, it will probably be the SX solely due to the starting price.

I may one day move away from buying SX and up into using Squiers as a base for modding and having fun, but for now why?

13. maevinj

maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    ALB!
    I just recently purchased a vm jazz and afer owning an sx, I would gladly pay the extra 150 for the vm. Don't get me wrong, I like the Sx, but the VM just has a better overall sound and feel. I'm just glad I snagged it before Fender raised the prices. How much fender raises the price on the Vm would change my opinion about whether to buy an SX or not nex time. :bassist:

14. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Hey thanks. I have plenty of experience with hard rock maple as I used to be a cabinet maker and made custom butcher blocks as part of my job at one shop. Other than rock maple we rarely used the stuff.

But with so many grades of maple, I was wondering where "soft" maple came in and where it came from (species)

That link helped a ton!

15. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I am on the fence with purchasing another VM Jazz and painting the body vs buying an SX. But I need another VM Jazz that sounds exactly like the other like I need a hole in the head.....

16. LanEvo

LanEvo Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    Nope. As others have pointed out, it's made of maple. The SX is available in either ash or alder ... just like a "real" P- or J-Bass.

Nope again. The VM Fretless Jazz (the Jaco-style one) is made of "agathis." That's a type of pine.

Maybe it sounds that way. But, believe me, I was very much "pro-Squier" in the beginning. I really tried to like that bass. But it just didn't do it for me. When I wrote that comparison, I honestly tried to be as objective as possible.

17. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Ok ash, maple...dunno, don't care, I lub my VMJ and it looks finne and it can deal with my clutzy self just great .... but for what its worth mine weighs a TON ..... Im serious, its almost as heavy as my 85 T40..... o_O

18. Donne

Donne

Sep 17, 2008
    I have a '68 4001 and a '78 P, I was so intrigued with the VM jazz and luckily, it was my wife's gift to me last christmas. It has been my main gear since. I had it set-up and wow! :hyper: that's all i could say.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021