1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Vintage Modified PJ Bass....Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZAR14, Nov 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    Is there anyone that can share feedback and/or opinions on the Squier Vintage Modified PJ Bass?
    Thanks

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    They get a lot of love around here. Maybe edit the title of your thread to include the make and model and you will get more reaction.

3. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    Ty

4. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard. Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    If you are talking the current VM P/J from Squier that is in sunburst and also Lake Placid Blue...

The build on them is high quality, the neck is outstanding and feels great to play. They are a little dull in the tone department for me, even when I swapped in some EMG Gzrs I still wasn't blown away.

That being said, I like high output basses (Stingrays, Talman, BB424, etc).

I think it is a very high quality bass and a great choice, but I'd play one yourself to see how you jive with the tone.

ZAR14 likes this.
  5. McBubbler

McBubbler

Apr 18, 2018
    Hey, sorry I'm a little late here, but I have a new VM PJ in CAR PJ with the wonkiest neck on any instrument I've ever owned. I'll adjust it to spec, and it will be choked out in backbow by the end of the week. Put a 1/16th of a turn of relief in it and in 3 days I'll have that super comfortable pawn shop 1/4" action on the G... The thing is, this bass has the it factor for me. Squier has already offered to replace it free of charge since it's super crazy neck with some popped frets and bubbles in the finish at the nut, but I don't know if a replacement will have this great vibe for me. Beautiful bass, plays great for the first day or so after I adjust the truss, and the PJ setup is kind of a bonus, although I wouldn't expect great things out of the J pup on its own. The Fender-designed P pup is super hot and bass-heavy, but maybe not as punchy as one might expect. Mine could need some adjustment, but it's kind of pointless with the aforementioned truss rod issues. Frets are nicely dressed for an instrument in this price range, and what they call a "vintage" bridge is really a decent hi-mass ala Badass or Omega. Overall, really good bass for the money, but you should probably be committed to the p-bass sound, since the J pup is pretty blah. I would also say buy new so you'll have that warranty, it's worth the extra $50.