1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SQUIER Vintage Modified vs. Classic Vibe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vaesto, Aug 23, 2012.

1. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    Hi,

I have tried a VM Precision bass (older one, natural finish, mapple body) yesterday at our local guitar shop. And I like it: neck is smooth, fretwork is fine and it sounds pretty close to MIM P-Bass which costs twice as SQ. Playability is good too.
    However, I'd like to compare it to the Classic Vibe Precision '60. It's a pity but CV's are not available locally to do one-on-one audition. So can anyone share personal expirience on that?

Regards,
    vaesto

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    If you can grab a natural VM with maple body/board, grab it!!!

That version will tend to disappear from stock ("discontinued") while is very hot

Solid tonewood for both body and fingerboard and just regular hardware, but you can swap every other kind of pickups in it (I'd suggest Bartolini) to let it sound deeper and punchier, while the alternative is the Olympic White agathis body with rosewood fingerboard

The '60s Classic Vibe (even if Sonic Blue is no more available) will stay for long in the Fiesta Red finishings, considering its success

Great QC, nickel hardware, brass barrelled HiMass bridge and finishes, but it stays lighter (being a basswood body bass) and, even if with a much better pickup than VM's Duncan Designed, I'd suggest at least a Tesla to upgrade its sound.

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    have these "vintage Modifieds" really been discontinued? i been looking at checking one out, maple/maple and the one i been eyeing up is the last in stock......do i need to act quickly or what....??? thanks for the input.

4. All I know is the transparent amber P has disappeared from the Fender/Squier website, and that usually indicates they've yanked a particular model. Some online stores still have them in stock, and yes, I would jump on it now while you still can. Once they run out, they won't be getting more.
    MF has them for $254, BTW.