Squier Vintage Modified???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by honda29, Feb 10, 2009.

1. honda29

honda29

Feb 6, 2009
    i was playing this bass at GC the other day and the sound was AMAZING. it was very clean and was like very trebley, very bright, man i dont know how to describe it. anyways, i want to check on the name oif this bass bc im 97% sure it was the squier vintage modified. It was all white with black trim around the outside or the body. it was on sale for decent i THINK. again i know for a fact it was VINTAGE MODIFIED but i am unsure as to what that means or if that why it sounded the way it did. can anyone verify this bass? or add opinions bc i done even need a new bass, and am tempted to go buy it.

EDIT- hmm this may be a squier...

you know, now that i look, i think i was a squier, vintage modified jazz about $280.
    well if so, was that the the pickups, just general 'jazz bass' sound, WHAT was giving it that tone????

2. edburns

edburns

Jan 10, 2009
    Reno, NV
    They are GREAT basses. For 280 bucks you can't go wrong. Check out harmony central on the web for more reviews. Best bang for the buck in my opinion. I have the fretless version pluged into an Ampeg ba112 and a set of flats....absoultly incredible!

3. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I have one.
    Very bright indeed! (Maple neck & maple body)
    The Duncan design pickups are really nice..

4. The Dave

The Dave

Jun 23, 2006
    Canyon, Texas
    If it was white/black, it was a Squier Vintage Modified Precision. It's just a well built bass with a good P pickup designed by Seymour Duncan.

5. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    The VM squire's I've played lately have been fantastic. Well worth the money... It's a shame I'm so broke. lol. :D

6. I had the fretless, Jaco-esque one for a while.

Twas' very fun to play and a great bargain.

I had to give it up because of school. Bummer!

7. honda29

honda29

Feb 6, 2009
    thanks guys, the only thing that im confused on is, with all of these i have seen online, none of them maych the body style of the one i played. the fretboard was the same, jazz look, but the body was ALL white and like a half inch strip of black around the outside edge.

8. jkramer5

jkramer5

Jul 14, 2008
    Fairfield, CA
  9. VM Jazz owner here...

Couldn't be happier with it.

10. honda29

honda29

Feb 6, 2009
    okay, i must be confused on which one i was playing at the time, i tried out like 20 basses when i was there. this vintage modified sound stuck out, and probably that all white body stuck out to my mind as well and meshed the two together

11. anonymous073020131

anonymous073020131 Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    Hm, interesting. I played both a VM 70's jazz bass and a Classic Vibe 60's jazz and walked out with the CV. The VM had a really scratchy tone knob and (although not Fender's fault) the action was terrible. My bass teacher also picked up a VM and had a similar experience- crappy neck and action that wouldn't stay in place.

Aren't the VM's made in like Indonesia, whereas the CV's are made in china? I did dig the bass cosmetically though- I like the inlays on the neck a lot.

But still, I thought the Classic Vibe jazz was a far superior bass- it just seemed like it had a little more TLC than the other squiers at the GC I went to. The neck plays like butter, GREAT sound, just a freaking awesome bass for the 300 bucks you pay for it.

12. I am really pleased with these two.
    Money well spent.
    [​IMG]

13. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    All white with black trim around the body? Never seen a Squier VM bass with that kind of finish. They ain't made with that finish from the factory. Must be a refinished one?

I have the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz with Lundgren "Vintage Jazz" Pickups in it. It sounds great with the Duncan designed pickups that it has pre-installed but i wanted more on the beefy side of the spectrum.

14. Squiers are great basses, just do a search and you'll see how many TB'ers rave over them. I own two myself, a VM Jazz (4 string) and a Deluxe Active V 5 String. You'll enjoy it should you choose to buy it. The Duncan Design Pickups are great stock. The neck is also extremely playable.

15. hyp.spec

hyp.spec

May 14, 2006
    Fraser, MI
    3268564702_848e9124c5.jpg

Not exacly a jazz... but it's definately vintage (uber)modified

16. Doing a search through the past forums on the VM will show that they have a reputation of "hit or miss" with quality. When I was looking for a bass last year, I found a VM with a terrible neck... that one was in Sam Ash. In my local (independent) shop I played it again and fell in love with it. I had gone in there to pick up a Used Fender MIM J, and walked out with the Squier VM Jazz.

Also, the string on it are Fender strings. They sound great... once I wore them down a bit I threw some Rotosound 66's on it and a BadAss2 bridge... I dumped the chrome dome knobs and put on some cheap black plastic allparts jazz bass knobs...

Perfect. For me.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021