Squier VM 70 Jazz "Duncan Designed" v Stock

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Zapple, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Zapple

Zapple

Jan 26, 2017
    5th Dimension
    Whats the difference between the "Duncan Designed" versus the Stock Pups. Im looking at one. The 0909S/N according to Fender, had the Fender pups (Ceramic) the bass has the DD covers but that can easily be swapped out. So how does on verify Duncan Designed and what is the difference, besides alnico? Any difference in value? The 2014 version with the Fender pups is sweet... anyone?

2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Duncan designed pickups from Squiers I’ve tried (all J-basses) have cloth-covered wire. Telling the difference between alnico and ceramic magnets from the bottom should be easy too (alnico mags are the polepieces themselves, while ceramic magnets will usually be bar magnets across the bottom of the pickup, with some sort of separate steel poles). No way to be certain without pulling the pickups out. I can’t imagine either of them being more valuable, as there were so many thousands of them produced on either front and swapping pickups is easy and cheap. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they just threw in some remaining DD pickups in an instrument if they came across them.
    Alnico pickups will definitely be more traditional sounding than ceramic, but taste is subjective. I actually have a set of the DD pickups in a non-Squier Jazz, because they sound basically identical to the Duncan SJB-1 pickups (and as good as many boutique vintage J pickups) but can be found super cheap when people swap pickups in Squiers.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021