1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Squier VM bass with Dakota Red Nitrocellulose refinish $260

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Steve 1100, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve 1100

Steve 1100

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    I painted this bass (with spray equipment, NOT spray cans) to see if I would like Dakota Red with a black pickguard, but it is not really my color. Since I did this bass for myself, not really intending to sell it at the time I did the work (yesterday), it has a few small flaws in the finish. If you have ever owned a nitro bass, then you know that the clear coat is fragile compared to modern catalyzed clear coat, IE, it scratches easy and wears with age and use.

$200 plus shipping

With that said, here are the details:

* Squier VM neck, electronics, and pickguard

* Squier Pete Wentz signature body

* PPG lead based Dakota Red base coat

* Nitrocellulose lacquer clear coat

* matching headstock

* "Fender Jazzmaster" (guitar) waterslide decal between the color and clear coat.

* Vintage tint neck

* Set up, plays and sounds great. Intonation is dead on, action is about 3-3.5mm at the 12th fret.

Here are the flaws / things you should know / things that will matter less as the clear coat ages / things you can see in the close up pics:

* slight sand thru to the black on a couple spots near the neck pocket

* slight light spot in the color base coat on the top of the bass above the bridge

* scratched the clear coat installing the E string, behind the bridge

* slight visible sand marks on the color base coat, under the clear coat

* clear coat not buffed out yet (usually I let it cure for a week or so, then sand to 2000 grit, then buff out till it looks like glass). This clear coat went on really smooth, and you could totally get away with not buffing this out.

* tint on back of neck has a few small spots in the tint (under the clear) where the color didnt adhere perfectly. I would probably have to point this out in person, but you can kind of see what I am talking about in the close up pic of the neck / body joint.

With all the flaws listed, this is still a kick ass paint job, one that you would be hard pressed to make happen for the price I am selling the entire, gig ready bass.

Here are pics that show the paint job in progress, the complete bass, and close ups of any issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Steve 1100

Steve 1100

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    Any interest at $200? This bass really looks and sounds good..

3. Steve 1100

Steve 1100

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    I was hoping to sell this bass in order to use the money to fund some other unfinished projects. After offering it for less than the value of the paint job alone, with no response, I decided that I will just order a couple of pickguards (mint green and tort), swap the black PG out for whichever one looks better, and hang on to the bass.

For future reference, in case I decide to offer anything else for sale here, is there a different approach to describing and offering a bass for sale, that would have been "better"? Should I have not nit-picked all the minor flaws in the item description?

No harm done, just curious?

4. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    Nice job on the paint! Looks killer bump!!!

5. Nice work. As for the ad, stuff is moving SLOWLY these days- I recently sold a bass that had been up FS for MONTHS. I think it had gotten well over 2,000 views prior to selling. On your full disclosure, I very much appreciate candor in these things- the buyer will find out soon enough, & if the seller has been deceitful, there goes his/her TB rep.
    On topic, although I realize you're keep the red rocker- what's the nut width?

6. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I think it was a great add. I would have bought it if I had the money, and it was white... haha. The paint does look good though.

7. Steve 1100

Steve 1100

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    Doz - There are plenty of Oly White VM basses, thats the way they come from the factory.. althought matching headstock on a white bass does look good (and is not available stock)

Bassteban - Thanks.. I was worried that full disclosure might have made it sound worse than it was.. (it actually looks pretty darn good). The next bass I paint (Sting signature, shell pink) will have a much shorter list of disclosure, since I will be painting it with full intention of selling it) As for the neck, it is the stock 2009 Squier VM, with a 1.625" nut.

8. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    I appreciate that you are honest and descriptive of the bass's condition. This bass looks great regardless of the disclosures. Personally, what I find most appealing about nitro finishes is that (IMO) they look great with some imperfections, kinda like chuck taylors.

If it was a jazz, I would have snatched it up!

9. If I had the $ i would have been all over it for 200$ and like you i would put a mint guard on it.

Things have really been slow lately around here.

10. I love it! I was going to propose a trade, but sounds like your happy with it. I'll keep my eyes open if you change your mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.