1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier VM Ebonol fretboard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tpa, Dec 16, 2015.

1. tpa

tpa

Dec 1, 2007
    København, Danmark
    Hi. I just got myself what seems to be an older Squier Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz. Serial no starts with IC06 which seems to tell that it (the neck, at least) was made in Indonesia at the Cort factory in 2006. Pickups are labeled Duncan Designed and they are nice sounding. Very nice neck with Ebonol fretboard with lines. I have a few questions:

First: How do I check that it actually is a VM. According to various references the VM series was first introduced in 2007.
    Second: When I "board" a string close to a stripe marking the fret position there is a buzz when the string vibrates. So I suspect that the fretmarkers are not 100% flush with the fretboard. In order to correct that I think of wet grinding the board a bit to level it out.

Have anyone here tried leveling an Ebonol board like that and what was the experience? Good or bad?

Thanks for reading and replying.

2. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... what is your full serial #? ... yes, VM was introduced in '07, but even an '06 serial # could have been made in '07 ... the lines on the ebanol board are slightly raised, that comment has been made on here on at least a few occassions ... I had no issue with mine, but action was not super low .. budget bass, so I would not hesitate to light sand the board if it was an issue ... roundwounds can 'etch' that ebanol board pretty easily ...

If you post a couple pics of the bass it will not be hard to identify if all original quite likely, especially if DD pups and press on splined knobs/pots, etc ... body originally came with no p/g, but a few are putting them on ...

tpa likes this.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

You definitely have a VM and the fretlines are not radiused from the factory, this prevents a proper fretless setup. You get fretbuzz from the little plastic lines. Some folks say their VMs lack this issue but I have seen plenty of example and they all exhibit the same issue. You need to sand down the board, I would recommend using a proper radius sanding block. Some folks just use a fine grit with no block though. Be careful you do not cause any ruts when sanding. You will also need to shine/polish the board if you want it to maintain the high gloss look. Here is my thread from years ago after I bought one of these turds sight unseen... boy were the reviews wrong in my experience.

Sanding my ebanol fretboard level!! HELP!!

tpa likes this.
  4. tpa

tpa

Dec 1, 2007
    København, Danmark
    Thanks.
    IC061007367
    [x] Duncan Designed pickups
    [x] Press-on splined knobs
    [x] No PG (and no screw holes)
    Color: 3 tone Sunburst

Thanks for the tips and for referring me to that thread. The quite low action and the use of rounds may add to the buzzing tendency. It is a bit annoying that the bass actually sound very good everywhere - except when in tune. This is my first fretless, and if I decide that I will use it regularly I will absolutely have the board planed by sanding - now that I know that the appearance is not spoiled by doing so. I am optinistic that once this has been done it will be a nice bass. The sound is fine and the neck (apart from the board) is very, very nice.