1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier VM fretless dot marker problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tropic, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Tropic

Tropic

May 19, 2009
    Woodbridge, Va
    So I went to guitar center yesterday to get my bass set up. Well while I was waiting I decided to mess around and play some of the basses on the wall. I picked up a VM fretless and started playing. Nice bass but I was thrown off because the dots were in between the painted on fretlines. I always assumed on a fretless the dots would be where the actual fret would be so is it like this on all VM fretless?

2. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    Uuh ... fretlines = normal dots

3. Dots on the lines would be weirder...

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    No way, man- dots on the lines is where it's at. They're just misleading decorations otherwise.
    [​IMG]

To the OP- nearly all lined fretlesses have dots between the frets. Someone pointed out some Japanese Fenders that were lined with the dots in the proper spots, but in general it's rare and something you usually need to custom-order. The lines on your fretless aren't painted on- they're plastic inlays. At the factory, they save money by cutting lined fretless necks the same way as they cut fretted necks and then just install fretlines instead of frets, which leaves the side dots in the wrong location.

5. Tropic

Tropic

May 19, 2009
    Woodbridge, Va
    Ok thanks. I was talking about the dots being in between the fretlines but on the side of the fingerboard.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    We know- so is everyone else :)

7. Tropic

Tropic

May 19, 2009
    Woodbridge, Va
    Grrr I hate TB sarcasm :p

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Who's being sarcastic? We were all talking about the side dot locations on lined fretlesses.

9. Ohhh those dots... I was thinking on the fretboard face, not the side :)

Not me... I missed it :rolleyes: I even owned a VM fretless at one point... Brain fade

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I thought you meant dots on the location of the lines. You should have just taken credit for it to sound like you knew what you were talking about! :D

11. Actually, I've always thought the face dots should go over the lines instead of between them.

What do they really indicate if they are between the lines?

12. Well... What do they indicate on a normal neck? They are just an easy reference for an area of the neck, 3rd, 5th etc..

Lines are enough for me for actual fret position. Anyhoo, the Squier doesn't even have dots on the face, hence the brain fade...

13. On a fretted bass, you can fret down at the face dot position, (Though it's better to fret down right behind the fret rather than in the middle.) but on a lined bass, you would never "fret" down at the face dot location unless you were playing a weird note, so the dots are meaningless.

In any case, I like unlined. The side dots are right at the "fret" positions, and it's the the only time I will play a bass with no face dots, because it looks stupid on a lined/fretted bass.

14. Tropic

Tropic

May 19, 2009
    Woodbridge, Va
    That's what I was trying to figure out. The dots were in between the lines on VM and it was sort of messing me up (first time playing a fretless) so I was wondering if they were all like that. I'm guessing it's a lined fretless thing.