1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier VM Fretless Jazz - struggling to adjust neck relief

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassresistance, Nov 2, 2013.

1. A few months back I got one of these as a 30th birthday present. Due to decorating and a few other things, I'm only now getting round to setting it up properly. I'm struggling to get the neck adjusted - I've currently got about 0.7mm/0.027" between string and fretboard at the 8th "fret" (with capo on the first and finger on the last). It doesn't feel like there's any more give in the truss rod, so I'm reluctant to force it tighter.

Just wondering if this is typical at this price point (and so my expectations are too high) or if it's a dud and needs to go back to the dealer...

Cheers,
    Steve

2. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    Are you turning the truss rod under tension? Pulling the headstock back will relieve some tension. You only have to pull until you feel the strings touch the fretboard, and the truss rod turns easier. Necks and truss rods aren't as fragile as some people say.

Truss rod on squer cv jazz works just as well as my other bases.

3. I've tried slackening the strings and it doesn't seem to help. Think it might be a trip back to the store for this one....

Thanks for the advice!

4. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Definitely. You might have a rubbery piece of wood for that neck. I've had that happen a few times on Fender/Squier stuff from every country they're made in. I had it happen with a MIJ fretless neck where the truss rod would only move the upper part of the neck near the headstock. Otherwise, the truss rod was useless. It was the softer maple they used in Japan that caused the issue.