1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

squier vm fretless or yamaha bb414

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. BassmanPT, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    the deal on this is a trade motivated by "health problems" if i can call them that.

i have a very nice squier vm jazz 5 string but the weight is giving me some back pain after long sets (about 4 hours non stop). i also have a tendinitis on my little finger and maybe a 5 string is not good for that, sometimes my whole arm hurts up to my elbow due to the tendinitis.

so i thought about trading it for another vm jazz in 4 string. it is lighter and also not that big of a stretch on my fingers in a 4 when compared to a 5 string.

thing is a guy asked me to pick between a vm fretless or a yamaha bb414 (in olympic white, very nice). i do not know which one to pick based on pictures. i will have to decide when doing the trade, will have about 20 minutes to make my decision. i do not know the yamaha at all, never played in one.

lets say neither one of those (vm fretless or yamaha) will add anything to my large collection of basses (9). i just want a beater bass (which my current squier is) the best it can be, confortable to play due to my tendinitis and back pain on long sets.

the goal is to take the bass to the "risky" events, if something bad happens, it is just a cheap bass.

your opinions?

ps: despite basses are different in nature (fretless vs fretted and jj vs pj, both are useable for me).

:bassist:

2. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    bump

3. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    no replies?

another bump.

4. I'd go with the Yamaha,the one I played at the store blew me away with its tone and playability.really authentic p and j bridge tones with no effort.

5. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

Jan 18, 2010
    Chicago
    Yamaha. And I'm not an anti-Squier guy.

6. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    True alder body tone, true Precision wise tone and a monorail bridge single coil capable of one of the most authentic "non-Jazz bass" jazzy growl tone there is.

It's a gig-machine: the agathis body/ebonol fingerboard/duncan designed pickupped Squier fretless is a nice "Jaco wannabe" and really nothing more than that

Last but not least, Yamaha satin maple neck is playability proof and the 21 fret rosewood fingerboard it's just incredible for its price!!!

Cheers,
    Wallace

7. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    I owned a fretless VM J, and I'll still say Yamaha as long as the weight is right.

8. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    wow, i was not expecting to see so many of you go with the yamaha.

keep your opinions coming please. the trade will be done next tuesday so i still have some days to read your inputs.

9. Another vote for the Yamaha. The bb414 was the best passive PJ in its price range at the time, IMO. That neck is a breeze to play and rock solid. I personally prefer the newer gen bb424x for the features, but the playability is similar.

10. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I started 'round 20 years ago on an old Yamaha P/J RBX series (I still got) and at present, my favorite all time basses, are Yamaha Attitude

But I had BBs (414 and 714) in my collection, and I now have a 614 3 band equalizer, in which I had Hipshot BT7 bass extender and active/passive push/pull volume knob installed

Cheers,
    Wallace

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I also own a fretless VM Jazz... and I would recommend practically anything over it, never been nearly as disappointed with a Yamaha, so I would get the Yamaha. To be fair, I also have never had a Yamaha built up as much as the VM Jazz.

12. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    i must say i was not expecting these opinions. all of you until now said to go for the yamaha. i am still not sure though, i really dig the vm's.

but i never played a 414 so what do i know...

hehehe

13. Yamaha, I haven't played it, but I do own the Squier fretless. The Squier is great... Now.

When I got it, the fret lines were actually slightly raised above the finger board which caused some nasty humming when trying to play some notes right on pitch. I did fix it though with a sanding block from Stewmac, but I did have to put that work in.

But, since you'll be able to see it in person, you can determine if that's an issue before selecting your bass. Take the pad of your finger and run it up and down the entire neck everywhere. If you feel any humps, decide if the work is worth it, or if you would rather have the Yamaha. The Squier is super light, but again, you can compare the two.

14. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    lets say i would like to trade/sell a vm fretless or the yamaha later. which one would be easier to move faster?

15. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

Jan 18, 2010
    Chicago
    Well, it kinda seems like you know which bass YOU want and are kinda just waiting for people to validate that.

16. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Nor do Squiers, but you're talking of a fretless one. Whether more popular than before fretless are still fair less than fretted

Cheers,
    Wallace

17. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    From my experience I'd go with the Yamaha.