squier vm jag with the stacked knobs and matching headstock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drewphishes, May 17, 2017.

1. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Balance is fine. You might be thinking of the thunderbird...

2. MaglorOnBass

MaglorOnBass

Jan 23, 2018
    I’m pretty sensitive to any pull on the neck. Thunderbirds are out of the question for me.

I have seen a few times that the balance of a Jag isn’t great, but maybe that is only certain lighter models.

3. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

Honestly, I have never noticed any neck dive...I use a padded 3 inch strap and all my basses hang just fine.

Wfrance3 likes this.
  4. MaglorOnBass

MaglorOnBass

Jan 23, 2018
    I’m pretty OCD about balance.

I should have the bass in my possession this evening, so I will report back.

5. MaglorOnBass

MaglorOnBass

Jan 23, 2018
    Just bought the bass and amp. $375 for the pair.

The bass is perfectly balanced. I’ll be back with my review.

6. MaglorOnBass

MaglorOnBass

Jan 23, 2018
    Holy s#|t, this bass is awesome.

I went a little far saying the balance was perfect - it’s not quite as ideal as my p basses with Hipshot tuners and high mass bridges, but it’s damn good. Much better than many high end basses, such as Specter and Warwick.

The styling is really sharp. I love everything about the looks. The matching headstock, the block inlays, the tort scratchplate. Love it.

I’m shocked by how good the Duncan Designed pickups are. I’ve honestly never heard a pair of P and J pickups that were this evenly balanced between the two. The bridge pickup has balls. It’s not anemic like so many bridge J pickups are. I will not be swapping out the pickups.

The double stacked knobs are so cool. I don’t think I’ve ever played a passive bass with a separate tone control for each pickup. I am a little put off by the ratchet turn of the tone knobs, but I can see the advantage for setting and forgetting.

I feel proud of the branding on the headstock and I will be keeping it stock (with the possible exception of a Fender high mass bridge.)
    CFF0D876-AC5E-4508-ACF0-F55EEFC018C2.jpeg

Thundar and Zoobiedood like this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022