1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier VM Jaguar Bass Special + EMG GZR PJ pickups or Fender Standard Jaguar Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AK2013, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Squier VM Jaguar Bass Special + EMG GZR PJ pickups

100.0%
  2. Fender Standard Jaguar Bass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hi, fellow TB members, I need some advice.

I recently played a Squier VM Jaguar Bass Special at my local music store and fell completely in love with it - the sound from the PJ pickup configuration, the playability and smoothness of the jazz neck with the satin finish (instead of the glossy one on VM jazz and precision basses) and a comfortable offset body shape for an amazing price of 300 €.

The only thing I didn't care for was the active preamp, so my question is this:

What is the more reasonable option - should I get the Squier bass from the music store (that I played and loved) and upgrade it with EMG GZR PJ pickups (170 €), or should I go for a mexican Fender Standard Jaguar Bass that I can buy online for 730 €, but don't have the option of trying out first?

The main difference between the two, as far as I can tell, is a basswood vs an alder body (and of course a 260 € difference in price). Any suggestions?

2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Does the VM Jag feel great in your hands? Yes.

Does the more expensive, Fender feel great in your hands? No one knows until you've already bought it.

I say go for the winner you already know.

What is it you don't like about the Jag's preamp? All it's doing is boosting and cutting the bass. The rest of the wiring functions like a standard volume/volume/tone system. That, and you say you like the sound already.

3. The preamp bothers me because the bass doesn't work without a battery and frankly the bass boost is a bit too much, so I know I'll never use it.
    And having read so many good reviews on EMG Geezer Butler pickups, I thought it would be a good idea to convert the bass to passive with them.
    I think I'll go with the Squier, the MIM Fender Jaguar + the Geezer pickups would get me in the price range of a used American Fender...

4. j0llysnowman

j0llysnowman Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2013
    I just installed this set on an Affinity Precision PJ. Obviously the rest of the bass is still what it is, but man, it sounds pretty much perfect. Strings are 50-105 Chromes. Grand total $400. Spent a few days slowly getting the setup right. I love it.