1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier VM Jaguar Bass Special - Passive conversion?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Drew617, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Drew617

Drew617

Mar 9, 2014
    Watertown, MA
    Hey everyone… first post! I've lurked here for a while and gleaned plenty, so thanks.

Quick background: I've had a few basses years ago but recently got back into the instrument. Originally got an SX P copy - I had a great SX J about a decade ago - but sending that back since the truss rod is rattling. Tonight I pulled the trigger on a Squier VM Jaguar Special.

If this is a dupe, it's unintentional… searching for this bass is next to impossible. For the record, this is the standard scale VM Jaguar Special - 34", dot inlays, active (but unbranded) pickups. Not the SS, not the "Duncan" one with block inlays.

I picked this one out based on price, universally positive reviews and the P/J pickups. For now, this will be my only bass. From what I remember, I absolutely need a split P pickup but prefer to have the J available too.

I'll reserve judgment until I can plug this one in, but my previous impression (I owned a Bantam XB400) was that I prefer passive pickups. That Washburn was a nice slab of wood but the pickups had basically one mode, saturated and compressed. Didn't allow much personality to creep in.

So: Does anyone have experience with this bass in particular? Is it difficult to either a.) wire in a passive/active switch or b.) disable the active circuit altogether? Is either [possible,reasonable] with the stock pickups? I'm handy enough with soldering iron but tend to need specific instructions.

Cheers!

Drew

2. grunge_freak

grunge_freak

Aug 3, 2010
    Not sure about the passive conversion but I owned that same bass for 4 years and it served me very well. You will not be disappointed I gigged and did some recording with the Jag and the variety of tones is very nice. I recommend some ernie ball hybrid slinkies, it sounds amazing with those.