1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier VM Jaguar neck dive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tupac, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Does this thing classify has having neck dive? It's a SUPER light bass, so that would make sense. I recently found out that the reason I rest my right forearm on the bass is because otherwise I have to hold it up while I'm fretting it. Is this neck dive?

And if it matters, I have the Jaguar SPECIAL, whatever the difference is.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Well, put a strap on it and stand up, if the neck goes towards the floor, you have neck dive.

Any poorly designed bass can have neck dive :)D), cheap or expensive means nothing.

3. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    The one I tried at Guitar Center had the same issue, made playing it seated mega awkward. Damn shame, too, that's a sick bass for the money, and I really dig the sound.

4. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Phew, I'm not crazy! It's not as bad a Tbird, it still works fine with gravity pulling on it from your shoulder while standing, but sitting, it just plummets.

5. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Try a Yamaha Attitude limited II and experience what real neckdive is!

Cheers,
    Wallace

6. Hell - I played mine all day today in a park with several bluegrass groups (no SUB) and I think it's just fine.

I'm old, cranky and if it bothered me much at all, I'd get rid of it. I still have it and will play it again.

HEY!!! I'm watching The Tonight Show with Dave Letterman and the bassist is playing on a black/tort Squier VM Jaguar!

Allen Stone is the group.

Just like mine!

7. pinz

pinz

Jun 14, 2010
    NZ
    about time someone invented a bulky bridge made of lead ;)
    I have the VM Squier Jag SS and dont notice any neck dive issues,I guess thats because the neck is alot shorter than my J and P basses.

8. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    I don't much like the SS....I would ROCK the humbucker model, however.

9. Didn't notice any on my Humbucker Jag, but just checked it now and I suppose it's on the verge of neck dive. I've got a wide nylon strap for it, which probably is helping fight any neck dive.

Can't check my VM Jag 'cause it's packed for moving.

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS
    Strap Pins
    - Use a strap lock system that sticks out from the bass a bit, ie Dunlop dual mode that can take a regular strap (obviously not recessed Dunlops.
    - Or get a longer strap pin screw and a bit of alloy tubing (conduit, whatever) and put the tube between the button and the body. *NB: drill a bit deeper into the body as well, and glue the screw in so it can't be leveraged out by the button extension. You can see this mod done on a few TBers T-Birds

Lightweight Tuners
    - Gotoh
    - Hipshot
    - Fender

Heavier Bridge
    - BadAss
    - Brass Hipshot
    - ?? (plenty of others out there)

I'd already planned on lightweight tuners anyway, and if that doesn't cure any remaining dive tendencies then I'll look at Dunlop straplocks. I like light basses, so doubt I'd go for a heavier bridge.

10. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    You've got an humbucker VM Jaguar and its agathis body is way heavier than a basswood bodied Jaguar Special (P/J configuration), so much so that yours gotta be more stable when shouldered.

Cheers,
    Wallace

11. Quite frankly I've never noticed any problem with neck dive on any bass I've ever played. Either it was there and I just didn't notice it, or it didn't exist. Whatever the reason, it's never been an issue for me.

12. Yet another nail in the"Pros don't use Squiers" coffin.

13. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    +1

Cheers,
    Wallace

14. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Or, reading the other thread on the subject, not. :D

15. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I had the agathis model, it had a little neck dive, nothing like my thunderbird! I now have the fender modern player (koto) jaguar, no neck dive at all!

16. Yeah my VM Jag has a slight dive to. It doesn't
    bother me as much as a Epi Thunderbird used
    to own.

17. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    +1

Cheers,
    Wallace

18. Yeah, I saw that.
    Disappointing.
    Still, I stand by my basic premise that anyone who says pros don't use Squiers are full of it.

19. harmendebresser

harmendebresser

Mar 11, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Endorsing Artist: Höfner, Pyramid Strings, Dr. No FX & Asterope cables
    Noticed it before I bought it, but no problem because I use it in a metalband (mostly pick, or "stretched arm" fingerstyle) so it's pretty low. And with some straplocks it's even less shoulder-heavy then my Marcus Miller & Mike Dirnt signature basses! Never really play it sat-down anyway (an acoustic's much nicer for that ; ).
    Thinking about getting another actually, for the sake of droptuning.
    However the MP Jaguar with its maple neck & block inlays has been distracting a little bit...

20. I have the SS Jag. It neck dives a little. One reviewer described as "neck leveling", which is more accurate. It is nothing like my Epiphone Viola. Let go of the neck on that thing and it's VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE ROOM!

Anyway, I got a Levy's Leather strap for my Jag and I'm good to go.