1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier VM Jaguar not cutting through mix

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twc1313, Jul 31, 2016.

1. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard. Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I play in a few bands, mostly alternative and classic rock. My amp is a Carvin BX500 with a 4x10 cab. My main bass is a Pbass with flats and it cuts through any band situation and always sounds great. However, my VM Jaguar bass gets lost not matter what. It sounds great by itself, but I can't seem to hear anything from it when I play with my bands. What I notice is that it seems to be all bass and now low mids, even with the bass boost knob on it turned down and off. What are my options?

2. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Not to be a wise acre, but I would stick with the P, sell the Jag, and get something you like the sound of.

3. FantasticFour

FantasticFour

Dec 14, 2013
    Europeland
    Have you tried everything setup wise? Like adjusting pickup height?
    Or changing string type/gauge?
    Sometimes that's all it takes. Sometimes.

4. twc1313

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Not being a wise arse at all, I have been considering this. I just want to give the ol' Jag a good shot before giving her away.

5. twc1313

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Going to give it a setup here and try different strings. It seems to me it's the bass boost circuit in it that is messing with the tone. My Ray34 cuts through much better and obviously nothing is topping my Pbass.

I just started with a 90's band though and figured something a bit more edgy and active is needed, however, the Jag hasn't been cutting it yet.